Public Interest Communications

There are newer employer reviews for Public Interest Communications

Great place to work

Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Tele Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Public Interest Communications part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll meet the most wonderful co-workers while making a difference.

Cons

Talking on the phone for hours makes you not want to talk on the phone when you get home. Thank good for text.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Public Interest Communications (View Most Recent)

I really like working here!

I have been working at Public Interest Communications

Pros

I recently started working here, and so far I'm pretty happy. The causes we call for are great. When I first applied I was worried it would be a scam, but it isn't. The organizations are well known, nationally recognized non profits and political groups. The training was great. The woman conducting the training was awesome. I was nervous at first, but I immediately felt more comfortable around her and her enthusiasm was very motivating. The training was fun, interactive, and thorough. I just wish it was longer, we only had 2 days. The supervisors are pretty good for the most part (with an exception of 1or 2...). The environment is very laid back, I quickly made friends, I like that there's not really a dress code, and the best thing is how flexible the schedule is... You make your own schedule. There are different bonuses that are nice, too.

Cons

The pay isn't that great. I wish there were 8 hour shifts so I could get more hours. I wish we had more of a say on which campaign we call for. Also, on a few occasions, early on, I had to leave early and I would have preferred to stay and learn something else to call. Some of the supervisors are more professional and helpful than others. One guy in particular walks around with a bad attitude and I'm sorry but I am not going to take you seriously when your clothes are dirty and you smell bad. Another supervisor, a girl, looks and acts like a stoner. (The other supervisors are great!)

It would be nice if the base pay was higher. Also, set better standards for the supervisors. Maybe rethink the times and lengths of the shifts, offering even more flexibility and better options for those of us who want to work more hours.

Good place to work and build job skills for the short term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Public Interest Communications part-time (more than an year)

Pros

We do fundraising calls for various non-profit organizations, so if nothing else, I usually leave work feeling good about what I've done for the day. Supervisors are generally pretty friendly, although they all get a little harsh when under pressure (from management or just general busy-ness). The female sups are usually better at keeping this frustration under wraps. The woman who does the trainings is wonderful, as are the younger male supervisors. One in particular makes things a lot of fun. Weekend shifts seem like they'd be a drag, but the supervisors make sure that we have a little fun, and since it's less busy, they can focus on improving your skills more than they might during the week. For the most part, they work hard to make sure you do well.

There is room for advancement here; people who do well get small hourly raises and lots of bonuses, some mentor new callers, and occasionally someone gets made a substitute supervisor. If you don't have a lot of job experience or if you are looking to change fields, this is a great place to be, since you learn all kinds of skills - persuasion, customer service with a touch of conflict resolution, politics and environmental activism, and more.

Cons

One of the day time sups is really anal and dismissive, but he does definitely know what he's doing. One of the night sups seems like he knows the job inside and out, but he's hard to find (always outside smoking) and doesn't put much effort into helping his callers. It's like he decides early on who is good and who isn't, then ignores them for either reason (doesn't need help, or not worth helping). The director is just really strange; it's impossible to tell if he's joking or serious when he makes inappropriate remarks and innuendos. The assistant director is ok, but he can be surly. Generally it is not a very professional environment. People constantly bad mouth each other at all levels.

Plus, the pay sucks. It's really really hard to get enough hours to make a decent living unless you are one of the best callers in the office who makes over $15/hr. There are very few who do. When there aren't a lot of campaigns, even experienced callers get sent home early, which is especially bad when you consider we only work 5 hour shifts.

Cut down on inter-office drama and gossip. Supervisors on the floor shouldn't be badmouthing other sups or management in front of callers/subordinates. Management is guilty of this as well.

While it's nice that it's a very relaxed environment, some kind of dress code might help with the lack of professionalism. Not that anyone needs to wear a tie to work, but fewer gym shorts and dirty ripped jeans might help.

Callers need some additional training to reinforce skills, outside of briefings, particularly because sups are often too busy to coach everyone everyday. What if instead of sending callers home early when all the campaigns run out, they had the option to stay for a brief workshop on how to ask for monthly gifts better or something? Or a briefing for callers who don't know a lot of campaigns?

There are newer employer reviews for Public Interest Communications