Public Outreach

www.publicoutreachrecruitment.com
  www.publicoutreachrecruitment.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Outreach

Challenging, in the best possible way

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- you spend your days outside
- you walk & lead an active lifestyle
- you get to work with incredible people
- it is a challenge - much better than flipping burgers (intellectually stimulating)
- easy to advance
- This job gave me the confidence that I was lacking in myself, it really helped me discover who I am and what I want out of life.

Cons

- Late hours
- fundraising alone in the dark can be dangerous

40 Other Employee Reviews for Public Outreach (View Most Recent)

The golden handcuffs

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Public Outreach full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of young idealists who are willing to stand for hours on the street and beg for donations for charity. The atmosphere is very young, and it can be fun place to work.

Cons

The company may go around saying they are an ethical business working for the none-profit charities, but the reality is they are a full profit third party fundraising company. They make their money from charities and none profits and they leave their staff with really low wages, making the argument that it's a symptom of the industry they have dedicated themselves to,

The truth is that it's all a lie. PO generate obscene amounts of money from their clients at the expense of the canvassers. Their very high and continuously rising targets are no different from the quotas a used car salesman has to meet. The quotas forces the canvassers to guilt people into committing to monthly donations that most likely they are no able to afford.

I no longer worker for PO, I moved on to work in fundraising and donor relations for NGOs and charities themselves, and I can tell you, third party fundraisers are the worst thing about this industry. Charity and giving donations should be an act of kindness and empathy not a high pressure sale situation that would leave the person feel like they have just been mugged. In fact, when I was canvassing at PO one of the terms I often use to hear was "Chugging" which stands for "Charity Mugging".

PO needs to rethink it's operation. Insanely high quotas and pressure leads to bad fundraising. The company should move from face to face fundraising to face to face community engagement. Also the canvassers who are the reason the company makes money should be better taken care of. Offering $13 an hour for a full-time employee without benefits in a city like Vancouver is really taking advantage of the youth and naivete of your workers.

If you can survive the guilt, and targets

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, good if you can get along with the people there, but they are all more or less welcoming. Younger demographic, mostly liberal arts students who don't have many other choices for a decent jobs. Its flipping burgers or this, but only if you can survive and sell.

Cons

You are essentially selling child sponsorships.
    Half the things you are taught about the charities aren't necessarily true, and you will have to live with the guilt of guilt tripping honest people into surrendering their credit cards to sponsor a child.

None.