Public Outreach

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Outreach part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great to meet new people, development of intercommunication skills

Cons

Unpredictable days, quick turn around

Advice to Management

Other Employee Reviews for Public Outreach

Essentially a sales job. Not for everyone.

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. Likeable office culture Pretty good pay for entry level job with no experience

Cons

Misleading. Basically your job here is doing sales job. This is one of the most cut-throat industry in terms of turnovers and saying that this job is not for everyone is really putting it mildly. Basically you need to sign up one donor per day (and keep in mind that the donor have to sign MONTHLY and give out their credit card information) whether you're assigned to door-to-door or street team. You get one week of evaluation period in which you get paid minimum wage and then if you reach your quota everyday you'll get promoted to whatever the hourly wage they advertised. I did the job while i was looking for other jobs, managed to meet the quota but it is really hard and it took a lot out of me, and i had previous sales experience too. Really test out your character and i have to give credit to those who can stay long in this business (this is a business alright dont fool yourself by thinking that they focus on making the world a better place: that's just a front).

2. Extremely Unprofessional Environment

Current Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Public Outreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office culture was very organic--lots of fun sometimes, but lines are often blurred between manager and friend. Overall I enjoyed my coworkers.

Cons

The compensation is very poor. In my interview we discussed having a typical 9-5 schedule, which actually turned out to be 10:30-7 (or 8...or 9...). Policies are constantly changing and the fundraisers are both unethical and unprofessional, which makes the job very difficult for those of us who have to represent our fundraisers when on the phone with donors.

Advice to Management

More transparency! Spend less money on travel for fundraisers and senior leadership to fly all over the country and more money compensating your employees that are in the office until 9:00pm.