Public Outreach

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Outreach part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to meet new people, development of intercommunication skills

Cons

Unpredictable days, quick turn around

Other Reviews for Public Outreach

Senior management not trained in conflict resoloution

I worked at Public Outreach full-time for more than a year

Pros

-flexible work days
    -nice coworkers
    -easy to get hired

Cons

-untrained leaders
    - strong cap on growth within the company

Do not just promote based on numbers but also quality or managerial and leadership abilities.

Bad experience. Beware!

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Public Outreach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, supportive staff and co-workers, generally positive environment. Good pay for entry level
    position, but not an easy job. They played group bonding games during breaks which everyone seemed to enjoy because they already knew each other, but personally, I was embarrassed because they were playing loud games in public places where people were walking by and staring like we were children.

Cons

They said extensive training would be provided, but it was NOT. After a long presentation about the charity's background, they put a lot of pressure and emphasis on quotas and meeting number requirements. It was very much like a sales job. Basically, if you don't make the quota, they can fire you. They previously stated that they don't do commission because they don't want to pressure employees, but they omitted the quota requirement until after I was hired. Then they handed us a script, told us to memorize it verbatim literally overnight, and dropped us off in some neighborhood to knock on doors alone. I had no relevant experience or training at that point.

There were MANY discrepancies between the job ad/interview and actual employment. I was told during the interview that we would fundraise in teams or pairs and very rarely have to do it alone. On the first day, they told me that everyone primarily fundraises alone. Keep in mind that they fundraise after dark so that's
    definitely a safety issue/concern, especially for female employees. Again, you have to knock on doors alone (very dangerous at night)!

Many of the methods I witnessed from long-time fundraisers made me uncomfortable. They were pushy, aggressive, and bothersome. They wouldn't leave when asked to, and wouldn't take "no" for an answer. They used questionable tactics such as guilt and flattery to persuade people to donate.

You need to be upfront and honest about what the job actually requires, from the beginning. Where was the extensive, great training I was promised? Try giving employees the tools and tips to succeed instead of pressuring them into getting enough sponsors and scaring them with termination. They act like they're so compassionate because they represent a charity, but it's really just about money.

Public Outreach Response

Aug 6, 2014National Recruitment Manager POUSA

It's unfortunate that your experience of talking to the locals in the area on a great non-profit was not a great one. Often times getting the opportunity to talk to someone at their home is a great ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Public Outreach.

Worked for Public Outreach? Contribute to the Community!