Public Storage

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Overworked but paid ok?

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours: Mostly full-time employment and off by 6pm most of the time.
Benefits: Good bonus plan (when you qualify for it, they change it so frequently one can never be sure), good medical, great pto.
Co-Workers: As always, they can make or break a job. Mine were 90% awesome :)
Customers: Can be very great.

Cons

1. Micro-managed sometimes, undermanaged others. This made it very difficult to obtain a good balance.
2. Over-worked in some areas (always working alone and being expected to make all calls AND memorize 4 new scripts a week at times)...under-worked in others (there were at least 2 weeks a month where 4-6 hours of an 8 hour day I had nothing to do).
3. Management: I don't know where to begin. This is the ONLY job I ever had where managers felt the need to try and turn team members against each other. I have read other reviews from other areas, so I know it's not just my area, plus I worked for PS on both coasts in my 3 yrs with them. Sometimes I felt like they broke their backs to help us out, other times it felt like we were just an irritant when things like the security system breaking (in one case, the security system was down OVER A YEAR and we still had to sell the great security to new customers like it worked). My last 2 years my team was under a constant threat of firing...what our DM failed to understand was that we were all friends in and out of work and shared the interviews with one another--he was telling all of us the same thing.

STOP trying to turn team members against one another. This is a major factor in turn-over. The less time you need to train a new employee, the less cost to you. Roll with it.

Praise good behavior rather than simply pointing out things done incorrectly.

Fix major issues as needed. I *cannot* sell the security system if it's been broken for over a month with no fix in sight...and I don't care to.

Stop hiring people who are not sales people and trying to turn them into sales people. There are SO many people out there with a sales background, don't sell it to me or the next person as a customer service position. It's not...it's sales and collections, at least until you stop pushing us to sell locks and insurance and merchandise to people who can't afford to buy them.

347 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Complete BS!!

Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work hours - apart from working sundays, which is a complete waste of time, as nobody ever comes in - some customers are awesome! They get rid of good employess and DMs and keep the ones that dont work or give a rats a***

Cons

Crap health insurance - had to have surgery last year as a heart condition was diagnosed and it was have surgery or possibly die, back in work 19 days after surgery, couldnt afford to have time off as thte short term disability that I was paying for, suddenly wouldnt cover me after they said it would (6 weeks off could NEVER be done) - had a small stroke the month before, and was back at work within 3 days - Now looking at being sued by what the insurance wouldnt cover, and come to find out, they seem to have not covered what they said they were!
    Scripts scripts scripts!!! all of them a waste of time, customers want service not a robot!
    Pay SUCKS, as a KTP (with the whole 58 cents extra) I was making $2 an hour LESS than a RF thats been here a year...tell me how does that figure? 10 times the workload and making a whole lot less than someone who did absolutely NOTHING but play angry birds on her phone and play on facebook? You tell the DM and nothing gets done, customers complain, and nothing gets done, other managers complain and nothing gets done.....its not what you know...its who you b**w...
    Bonuses are unatainable now, they keep pushing goals to places there are no way that you can hit all 5 parts....you may hit 2, 3 or 4 and still get NOTHING...I sold almost 3 grands worth of merchandise....and get this...I got just over $5 in merchandise incentive! INCENTIVE? REALLY???? I think not.
    I finished my 2 weeks notice today, and I am SOOOOOO glad I am out of there, starting with another company that actually pays bonus, and you make bonus on what you do...not unrealistic goals and NO outside work, no landscaping, no trying to fix doors and dealing with falling sheetrock, and not having to deal with crappy looking units and charging premium prices, that have roaches and mice and brown recluses...GOOD RIDDENCE!

Get your heads out of your backside and look at what you are doing...you have grown too fast and are greedy....maybe someone needs to give the CEO and his little friends a scrooge experience and let them see what they are doing to the 'little' people

Slavery

Current Employee - Property Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to this company

Cons

You are micro managed, You have to lie to coperate if they ask a question about how you are treated,if there is anything wrong on the property, You have to lie to customers on locks and insurance or lose your job, The DM in my district tells your personal business to other peers and always tries to get you to say something about your co workers, He makes comments on your size or if you are classy enough. He likes to keep arguments going on between coworkers.

Listen to your employees about how you are treated. Take time to praise instead of condeming all the time. Stop calling us bottom dwellers. Stop pushing locks and insurance on customers that can not afford them and making it a part of the bonus program,

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage