Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Stagnant organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsLimited flexibility in setting your own daily agenda and how you want to accomplish it.
Small team focus on someproperties with 2 person team.

Consextremely MICROMANAGED to the point where it effects operations and a personal selling approach (I am under the impression that this is more under regional discretion than the company at whole).

Management out of touch with operations.

Incentive offerings are near unnatainable and very undercompensated. PMs bring in all the $$$ and yet bonus DMs receive a bonus metric almost 5x this amount. Not very encouraging to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with scripts (minus superstart/ key areas). Employees are incapable and more often than not have a selling or CS background, that is why they were hired in the frist place right? Show some confidence in them.

To recruit top quality candidates and RETAIN current managers offer higher compensation and benefits (this is an issue as turnover rates probably average around 2 years by rough estimate). Local and regional competitors have base salaries 37% higher, just reflects the overall energy surrounding the company, the corporate culture, employee satisfaction and most importantly the overall health of the company...

Utilize Local Managers to assist DMs (basically as DM support). Often many DM duties were shrugged to PMs (auction prepartions, invoicing, paperwork, lock cuts, calls made... I heard from a PM in Chicago that their DMs even make missing lock calls?!). A proactive DM makes an impact on their team and sets the tone! This would also offer an opportunity to stay with the company and retain talent.

Change the title from Property Manager to Leasing Consultant, more professional and attracts a different scope of candidates

Invest in your current properties. Yes spend some $ annually for aesthetic changes, painting, repairs, renovate the office. I worked some properties that I felt were just being let go and repairs were repeatedly noted and put off. If it is a state beyond repair just sell it then it makes little financial sense on a long term basis...

DO AWAY WITH PROMOTION RESTRICTIONS FOR CURRENT CUSTOMERS ****. This is an aspect that makes absolutely no sense. You are receiving additional business from a qualified customer that has been making payments, why penalize this?!

Offer 15-20% merch discount at time of leasing. Will show noticeable results in merch sales. A few local competitors do this.

Drop price of locks. at least keep it 13.99. 17.99 is just ridiculous and the consumer knows this.

I now see why their turn over rate is so high!!!!!!!

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros: Off by 6pm is the only thing great about this… Cons: Only Property Manager are off on Sundays. Working @ more than… Advice to Senior Management: This is the worse company I have every worked for. This company do NOT appreciate their employees or customers. All they are worry about is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

unappreciated

Prop Manager (Current Employee) Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: No one breathing down your neck all day. Cons: We are pushed and pushed and pushed to sell. We are reprimanded when we don't get a lock sale with a rental. They… Advice to Senior Management: Show us we are appreciated and give us encouragement, instead of always reprimanding… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Public Storage.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!