There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

The only reason why I would spend time typing this review is to get full site access :)

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ZERO!!!! and I mean absolutely none whatsoever other than its a job.

Cons

Upper management is awful. Our DM once told a woman on a conference call he was going to plant his seed in her. And then followed it up moments later by telling her she should strap one on. To be a District manager all you need is a high school degree.....In actuality a DM in this company is the equivalent to an assistant manager at a convenience store with a pair of bolt cutters. I'd like to say something positive about the customer interaction. But honestly they are all liars and scum bags with a seldom encounter with a pleasant individual. Apologies for poor sentence structure or grammar, just buzzed this out to get access. This company should be avoided. Should have known when on my interview the manager asked me are you sure you want this job.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

Stagnant organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limited flexibility in setting your own daily agenda and how you want to accomplish it. Small team focus on someproperties with 2 person team.

Cons

extremely MICROMANAGED to the point where it effects operations and a personal selling approach (I am under the impression that this is more under regional discretion than the company at whole). Management out of touch with operations. Incentive offerings are near unnatainable and very undercompensated. PMs bring in all the $$$ and yet bonus DMs receive a bonus metric almost 5x this amount. Not very encouraging to say the least.

Advice to Management

Do away with scripts (minus superstart/ key areas). Employees are incapable and more often than not have a selling or CS background, that is why they were hired in the frist place right? Show some confidence in them. To recruit top quality candidates and RETAIN current managers offer higher compensation and benefits (this is an issue as turnover rates probably average around 2 years by rough estimate). Local and regional competitors have base salaries 37% higher, just reflects the overall energy surrounding the company, the corporate culture, employee satisfaction and most importantly the overall health of the company... Utilize Local Managers to assist DMs (basically as DM support). Often many DM duties were shrugged to PMs (auction prepartions, invoicing, paperwork, lock cuts, calls made... I heard from a PM in Chicago that their DMs even make missing lock calls?!). A proactive DM makes an impact on their team and sets the tone! This would also offer an opportunity to stay with the company and retain talent. Change the title from Property Manager to Leasing Consultant, more professional and attracts a different scope of candidates Invest in your current properties. Yes spend some $ annually for aesthetic changes, painting, repairs, renovate the office. I worked some properties that I felt were just being let go and repairs were repeatedly noted and put off. If it is a state beyond repair just sell it then it makes little financial sense on a long term basis... DO AWAY WITH PROMOTION RESTRICTIONS FOR CURRENT CUSTOMERS ****. This is an aspect that makes absolutely no sense. You are receiving additional business from a qualified customer that has been making payments, why penalize this?! Offer 15-20% merch discount at time of leasing. Will show noticeable results in merch sales. A few local competitors do this. Drop price of locks. at least keep it 13.99. 17.99 is just ridiculous and the consumer knows this.

unappreciated

Current Employee - Prop Manager in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Prop Manager in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No one breathing down your neck all day.

Cons

We are pushed and pushed and pushed to sell. We are reprimanded when we don't get a lock sale with a rental. They think we are lying to them when the customer won't buy boxes with a rental. WE are the ONLY ones who bring in ANY revenue, yet we are treated like second-class citizens and the company keeps reducing our bonus program. Upper management lives like kings while we struggle to make ends meet. The new bonus programs says the company expects "40%" of "eligible managers" to earn a bonus. Wowee! That means they expect 60% WON'T??? How encouraging! The DMs and higher get four times the bonus money we get, and we do all of the work bringing in the $$. Disgusting!

Advice to Management

Show us we are appreciated and give us encouragement, instead of always reprimanding us for what we didn't do or accomplish. Morale is very very low.