There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Worst Job I've had, ever.

Current Employee - Property Manager
Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

There's so much I'm not sure where to start. :( First scripts, there are WAY too many of them. No matter what you do the customers know its a script and just don't like it. It makes you seem robotic when dealing with customers. I'm a property manager.... yet I can't do anything to help a customer. I can't waive a late fee, or make any decisions without first contacting the District manager. The sales technique used is so close to lying. I've been called a "shark" by customers and it's just the way the company wants you to do your job. Customers will constantly accuse you of lying because they come in expecting to pay $16 to move in and then suddenly you're trying to get $44.07 or more out of them. Micromanagement. Upper management doesn't listen to their property managers/relief managers at all. If we suggest anything at all its ignored or we are making excuses about things. It's all about numbers and how much you can sell. If you don't get your goals you're given a hard time by upper management. Theres no advancement at all. If you hire in as a property manager you will never move up in the company. Ever. Period. Bonus program was cut and no real details on how to get it now. Used to be monthly and is now yearly and the company even says that only 40% of managers are expected to get it. So most likely even less will get a bonus at the end of the year. There's a $.50 raise after 6 months but don't count on another one. I just got my yearly review and did very well but won't be getting a raise because they did a base pay raise to all employees..... not the same thing as a performance raise. Raises were also not given last year.

Advice to Management

Listen to your property managers, they are running your field offices. We know what your customers want! Listen! Stop with the micromanagement and stop having us push over priced merchandise on people. They know they can get it cheaper down the road, your customers are not stupid.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall this job is good.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

The pros of the job are that they compensate pretty good in my opinion for what they ask you to do on the job.

Cons

The cons of the job are that they are very micro managed. Coming from a retailer that gave more freedom to impact the business this has been a negative.

Stagnant organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limited flexibility in setting your own daily agenda and how you want to accomplish it. Small team focus on someproperties with 2 person team.

Cons

extremely MICROMANAGED to the point where it effects operations and a personal selling approach (I am under the impression that this is more under regional discretion than the company at whole). Management out of touch with operations. Incentive offerings are near unnatainable and very undercompensated. PMs bring in all the $$$ and yet bonus DMs receive a bonus metric almost 5x this amount. Not very encouraging to say the least.

Advice to Management

Do away with scripts (minus superstart/ key areas). Employees are incapable and more often than not have a selling or CS background, that is why they were hired in the frist place right? Show some confidence in them. To recruit top quality candidates and RETAIN current managers offer higher compensation and benefits (this is an issue as turnover rates probably average around 2 years by rough estimate). Local and regional competitors have base salaries 37% higher, just reflects the overall energy surrounding the company, the corporate culture, employee satisfaction and most importantly the overall health of the company... Utilize Local Managers to assist DMs (basically as DM support). Often many DM duties were shrugged to PMs (auction prepartions, invoicing, paperwork, lock cuts, calls made... I heard from a PM in Chicago that their DMs even make missing lock calls?!). A proactive DM makes an impact on their team and sets the tone! This would also offer an opportunity to stay with the company and retain talent. Change the title from Property Manager to Leasing Consultant, more professional and attracts a different scope of candidates Invest in your current properties. Yes spend some $ annually for aesthetic changes, painting, repairs, renovate the office. I worked some properties that I felt were just being let go and repairs were repeatedly noted and put off. If it is a state beyond repair just sell it then it makes little financial sense on a long term basis... DO AWAY WITH PROMOTION RESTRICTIONS FOR CURRENT CUSTOMERS ****. This is an aspect that makes absolutely no sense. You are receiving additional business from a qualified customer that has been making payments, why penalize this?! Offer 15-20% merch discount at time of leasing. Will show noticeable results in merch sales. A few local competitors do this. Drop price of locks. at least keep it 13.99. 17.99 is just ridiculous and the consumer knows this.