There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

"We Care"....... About Lining Our Pockets!

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The option of a company apartment is a nice pro but good luck getting one.... the waitlist on them is very long! Most of the coworkers are very nice as well.

Cons

Ahh..... Where do I start?! Scripts, scripts, scripts and sell, sell, sell. That's all upper management ever says. There are literally 10-15 scripts to memorize.... and yes you will be tested on it and your bonus will depend on it... good luck being one of the 40% that even get a bonus though! Employees are also evaluated monthly on how many customers we can sucker in to buying a ridiculously overpriced lock and boxes. Any local hardware or home improvement store sells the same lock and boxes at a small fraction of the cost. But if we don't sell them, we are disciplined and it goes down in the record so they can ding your bonus. Oh and good luck taking vacation or personal time. Te company has restricted it so that in the summer months it's next to impossible to take a paid vacation with your family. They've "blacked out" several weeks where employees cannot use personal time. The company's we care slogan is totally bogus. Customers are deceived and tricked. Employees are instructed to quote you a low price over the phone and then tack all the extras (lock, insurance, merchandise) on when you get there which brings your move in total to nearly double what we quote you. Long time customers receive rent increases almost every 6 months. It is not uncommon to find a customer paying double or triple the going rate for a unit. It's a total bait and switch operation they have going. And if the manager tells you that break ins and flooding are not a common issue, it is a flat out lie. I've been with the company less than a year and I don't plan on making my one year review! Awful company to work for!

Advice to Management

Employees that feel valued will work harder for a company that appreciates them and we as employees would appreciate not violating our consciences everytime we lie to a customer.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Call center - well run -- kinda depressing.

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

It was a simple job, low level. Corporate structure seemed solid, promotion and training equally so.

Cons

any cons were on the technology side -- but I'm sure that's all changed by now.

Worst Job I've had, ever.

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

There's so much I'm not sure where to start. :( First scripts, there are WAY too many of them. No matter what you do the customers know its a script and just don't like it. It makes you seem robotic when dealing with customers. I'm a property manager.... yet I can't do anything to help a customer. I can't waive a late fee, or make any decisions without first contacting the District manager. The sales technique used is so close to lying. I've been called a "shark" by customers and it's just the way the company wants you to do your job. Customers will constantly accuse you of lying because they come in expecting to pay $16 to move in and then suddenly you're trying to get $44.07 or more out of them. Micromanagement. Upper management doesn't listen to their property managers/relief managers at all. If we suggest anything at all its ignored or we are making excuses about things. It's all about numbers and how much you can sell. If you don't get your goals you're given a hard time by upper management. Theres no advancement at all. If you hire in as a property manager you will never move up in the company. Ever. Period. Bonus program was cut and no real details on how to get it now. Used to be monthly and is now yearly and the company even says that only 40% of managers are expected to get it. So most likely even less will get a bonus at the end of the year. There's a $.50 raise after 6 months but don't count on another one. I just got my yearly review and did very well but won't be getting a raise because they did a base pay raise to all employees..... not the same thing as a performance raise. Raises were also not given last year.

Advice to Management

Listen to your property managers, they are running your field offices. We know what your customers want! Listen! Stop with the micromanagement and stop having us push over priced merchandise on people. They know they can get it cheaper down the road, your customers are not stupid.