Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com
  www.publicstorage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

No advancement from the property manager position, inadequate pay and OK benefits, some job security.

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Cocoa Beach, FL
Former Employee - Property Manager in Cocoa Beach, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PS operates with minimal labor hours and it continues to add locations so there is some job security from that viewpoint. If you need the secondary job in your family, need to live in a company residence, need a flexible schedule or enjoy the resident manager lifestyle the property manager or relief manager positions would be good for you. There is a 401K and group and other medical paid by the employee.

Cons

The job is more than challenging as requirements for how the PM operates including scripts is changing virtually daily from many in management.The property(s) you work can make a huge difference in working conditions. Generally speaking there is no additional pay for working an old no climate control property as oppossed to a modern, climate controlled and therefore much cleaner property. The size of the property and the level of activity can make a huge difference in working conditions.The property is a big influence as to whether or not or how much bonus money you make. Everyone is paid virtually the same no matter which property they work or how long they have worked for PS. There is no consideration for loyalty except additional paid time off after 5 and ten years. The group medical has essentialy a 4k deductible.

Change operations so Corporate, Division VP, Regional VP, Assistant Regional Manager, Senior District Manager and the District Manager are not all instructing what and how to do the job at the same time, often conflicting.Change is needed but employees are tired of the continous deluge. Emphasize as part of the business culture the positive restraint of power that comes with authority amoung management within a region.

312 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Call center - well run -- kinda depressing.

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

It was a simple job, low level. Corporate structure seemed solid, promotion and training equally so.

Cons

any cons were on the technology side -- but I'm sure that's all changed by now.

"We Care"....... About Lining Our Pockets!

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

The option of a company apartment is a nice pro but good luck getting one.... the waitlist on them is very long! Most of the coworkers are very nice as well.

Cons

Ahh..... Where do I start?! Scripts, scripts, scripts and sell, sell, sell. That's all upper management ever says. There are literally 10-15 scripts to memorize.... and yes you will be tested on it and your bonus will depend on it... good luck being one of the 40% that even get a bonus though! Employees are also evaluated monthly on how many customers we can sucker in to buying a ridiculously overpriced lock and boxes. Any local hardware or home improvement store sells the same lock and boxes at a small fraction of the cost. But if we don't sell them, we are disciplined and it goes down in the record so they can ding your bonus. Oh and good luck taking vacation or personal time. Te company has restricted it so that in the summer months it's next to impossible to take a paid vacation with your family. They've "blacked out" several weeks where employees cannot use personal time. The company's we care slogan is totally bogus. Customers are deceived and tricked. Employees are instructed to quote you a low price over the phone and then tack all the extras (lock, insurance, merchandise) on when you get there which brings your move in total to nearly double what we quote you. Long time customers receive rent increases almost every 6 months. It is not uncommon to find a customer paying double or triple the going rate for a unit. It's a total bait and switch operation they have going. And if the manager tells you that break ins and flooding are not a common issue, it is a flat out lie. I've been with the company less than a year and I don't plan on making my one year review! Awful company to work for!

Employees that feel valued will work harder for a company that appreciates them and we as employees would appreciate not violating our consciences everytime we lie to a customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!