Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com
  www.publicstorage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Great job, but not for everone.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was lucky to get an apartment so quick. It has been great living rent free.
Working alone with no one breathing down your neck.

Cons

Lots of pressure to perform, low pay, work every weekend, work with unreliable people who call off to much. Dealing with people who have lost there belongings.

Better bonus program.... Higher wages...

355 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back company, no real customer service/people skills required- rudeness and giving customers the run around is the norm and quite expected.
    Bagel Fridays
    Free coffee
    Casual dress
    Not many rules - cell phones are fine on the floor

Cons

Hours are cut drastically, with mandantory time off to the extreme - I was hired for fulltime and would work an average of 18 hours per week. always potentially losing benefits, If ethics are important to you - this isn't the place for you, Also if you are looking to truly provide customer care, you won't have that opportunity at this company. It's hard to give a customer the impression that you care or build any kind of company cofidence/rapport while advising them of a $20 phone pay convenience fee (just one example).
    I saw no advancement opportunity, at all.
    Poor queue volume control - either way too busy or no calls for up to 35 minutes - no middle ground

Be more upfront about what you are truly offering potential employees.
    A lot more emphasis on ethics and doing the right thing.

So many mixed feelings.

Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lets see... for the pros. My coworkers for the most part were very hard working. They sacrifice so much and cared about their properties. They tried their very best to succeed. The one nice thing was that if you did your job well, they pretty much left you alone. All alone!

Cons

So many cons. Lets start with scripts. They come out with a new script ALL of the time. Sometimes we got a new script revised after one day.

Locks and insurance. Your bosses all up the line all bonus on them, If you are not good at sales, this job is not for you.

Short staffed. Never enough help for the properties that need it.

The company put a hold on all repairs at properties. Slowly the properties are getting run down. I was even told to do an unsafe act because the company was not willing to pay a vendor to come out to do a 5 minute repair job.

Upper Management is micromanaging every thing. It became confusing as to what our focus should be.

There are no career advancement possibilities for property managers. No matter how good you are, you will never move up. They took away our chance to get a bonus and accrue vacation time. That"s okay, being understaffed means never being able to use your vacation time.

Treat your Property and Relief Managers with respect. We are the ones working the trenches. Allow us to be ourselves when it comes to dealing with customers. We get farther when we can be friendly and unscripted. Reward the hard workers that at the end of the day are the reason that this company stays in business. We want to care.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage