Public Storage

Going Downhill

Current Employee - Property Manager
Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a great job for those people who like working alone and enjoy having the freedom to be inside/outside. Must be self motivated.

Cons

I would say the cons (as of late) is the low pay, all of the scripts, never having holidays off (except for the 3 that corp. finds acceptable) and having to wait so long for anything to be fixed. It is also becoming increasingly evident that Public Storage hates families. A couple of examples would be that 1. You can't give a special to someone who has been listed on someone else' paperwork as a contact (family member) and 2. even though the hours of operation seem to be reasonable, if you have young, active children, you are probably not going to be able to go to anything they have going on because you are the only place open. Also, the constant rent raises are ridiculous, for our customers who are not seeing any reason why they should be getting one since they are being told it's due to upkeep of the properties< yet nothing is being done to them anymore.

Take better care of your employees concerning compensation/bonuses (unattainable @ this point) and give the customers who have been with us for years and are never late some sort of loyalty reward.

310 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Not a family orientated job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours the stores are open.

Cons

Some of the DM's alone will bring this company down. They have no experience working for the company and yet they are hired. More then half the time they do not know What they are to do or How to do it and push it off on those who do know. Micro management is the only way this gets done in our district. And good luck trying to file that complaint about them or anyone for that matter cause they never do anything about it anyways. The pay for this job is WAY under What it should be, and vacation time is never going to happen, between black out dates and having to have it manitary that you are here the last day of the month and the 1st day! Weekends, going to work those also cause you have to have time in your "pto" to get those days. So, if you have no life, no kids and like working for Nothing, and have upper management treat you poorly this is job for you! Oh and good luck getting any type of bonus...

Spend the day with the real people the run the company. The PM'S.

Easy work, steady hours, below average compensation, and no loyalty to employees.

Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager  in  Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Taylor, MI

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work steady hours and I found it enjoyable to have both office and outdoor work.

Cons

Low wages, dead-end job. Generally speaking, I have noticed that in the storage industry you need to bounce around between companies in order to acquire new titles. Otherwise, I did not notice any in-house promotions. The property manager and relief manager positions are generally the same minus some direct responsibility by the latter.

Pay high wages to hold onto talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!