Public Storage

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

EASY OFFICE JOB THAT REQUIRES NO SPECIAL SKILLS OR EDUCATION

Current Employee - Resident Property Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Resident Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Light work office job. Minimal paperwork and upkeep. If you have effective time management,this is an easy job.They cut the stock piling of PTO because too many PM/RF were making it impossible to schedule a district with all the four day weekends...

I manage a very large property. My occupancy is always above 94%. All the goals are attainable. I have no problems staying above 90% on lock sales and insurance sales. They give you all the tools to complete those goals. The scripts work if you use them correctly. Doesnt matter what neighborhood your facility is in. Im in an extremely poor area.

Cons

Constantly trying to match LY numbers plus 20% growth. Especially in poor economic times. Should go back last five years,drop higest,drop lowest and average the rest. Very few companies in the world see a 20% growth year after year, do not know why they expect properties to do it.

Rental increases. They are ridiculous. Long term tenants pay almost 70% more for the same size a new customer off the street would pay. Long term tenants should not be punished for consumer loyalty. If a tenant rents more than one unit,they get all the increases at once. Had two different tenants have increases totaling combined at $179 and $220 more PER MONTH.

Upkeep for the properties (atleast in my district) is poor. For all the late fees alone a typical property brings in,there shouldn't be any issues. Some properties so not even have restrooms. They have to drive to another property to use the facilities.

Bonus structure is not personal,or even property performance based. Your lumped in as a district. You have have the best numbers in the world,but if other properties in your district are lacking. It drags up down with them on a lower tier.

Alot of these complains are invalid. If you do not want to learn scripts,do not get a sales job. If you do not want to work weekends,get out of retail. Other complaints I read have to do with a specific district or location. My advice to management would be to be competitive with wages. This job doesnt require special skills,or formal education,but at least be competitive with the industry you are the leader of. a PM has alot of responsibility for 10 bucks an hour.

The general structure of things is off (at least in my district) All properties are busy the beginning and end of the month. Why do we have RM/DM visits and such when its the busiest time of the month. Why is my DM tying up my computer doing a PAR on the second of the month? Why is my RM doing visits going over scripts on the 30th of the month?

347 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Fabulous, Wanda is a manager that listens to her customers

Current Employee - Customer in Miami Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Customer in Miami Gardens, FL

I have been working at Public Storage as a contractor

Pros

Wanda is the greatest, she bends over backwards to make sure her customers are happy, not only does she go the extra mile but she does all she can to make the customer fell destressed o the things that are happening in their lives

Cons

Stop raising the payment on renters, they are doing the best they can. Since businesses are not paying cost of living it's hard to make ends meet, but Wanda does all she can to help

Wanda has that personal interaction with your customers and she make them feel that all is not lost

Public Storage Response

Apr 30, 2014Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

Worst job I have had.

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and you learn how to organize rooms.

Cons

So many downsides I don't know where to start.
    SCRIPTS. They give new scripts every month and they all sound like something that was randomly put together by someone with less social skills then a newly made robot.
    Promotions are nonexistent in this company. They would rather bring a person from another company or another state to be the DM or RM.
    The only care they have is to the stockbrokers. They tell you that when the performance reviews come out no one is going to get a 5. So why do they even have it on the review sheet to begin with.
    They combined sick and vacation days together and black out days to keep people stuck at work. You have put to vacation time in the system by a month or longer or you will not get the time off. Birthdays or sickness they do not care you are stuck at work.
    The properties are falling apart. They charge people premium prices but if something breaks at the facility it will stay broken for at least 6 months because they put a freeze on all repairs without their consent. When the customers call the DM, RM, or corporate about the broken doors, insulation, or gates, corporate blames you for them calling. That right, Corporate blames the relief and property managers for the customers calling about their unit and goods damage, instead of calling the vendors to fix the problems and expects you to try and fix the issue knowing that that they will not pay workman comp if you get hurt.
    The wildlife that is at the properties is another problem. Spiders, Roaches, and rats are as regular as the customers. I lost out on a rental once because a rat ran out of the unit when I opened the door.
    The biggest step on their on the PM and RM is the waste that they call the bonus program. Every year it gets worse and worse. They rose the best rewards to 95% and when stores began to reach those goals. The bonus amount reduced and it went from a monthly to an annually program.
    The DM's and RM's keep nothing to themselves. If they know something everyone knows. It doesn't matter if the information is personal all of the company knows.
    No advancement, no loyalty, no bonuses. PS was a decent place to work before the sin of GREED took over. Senior management knows people will always need storage so they will only get worse from here.

Care about your field people and less about lining your pockets

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage