Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Good money - horrible life style

Former Employee - District Manager
Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good, bonus for first year is guaranteed

Cons

DMs are required to work and be available 7 days a week and at a moments notice. We were told several times that we needed to manage our families better so they would understand the needs of PS. Company structure micro-manages every last detail and the administrative requirements are unnecessarily exhaustive, and are mostly high level busy work that no one even reads or reacts to. Even when on vacation or on holidays, your supervisors will contact you constantly from the early morning to the middle of the night, meanwhile never themselves being available during their time off. There is more than 50% turnover in DM's every year. That is a fact.

The company is only concerned with stock holders dividends and frequently denies reasonable requests from customers as well as basic maintenance and upkeep of the buildings. Property Managers are not paid anywhere near their value (and are actually paid less than the industry standard), and they are constantly pushed to achieve unattainable goals and are treated with hostility, they are often questioned and reprimanded just because they are not well liked, and are treated like the obstacle to the company's success rather than trained and developed and incentivized. There is no opportunity for upward mobility for Property Managers which also hurts their performance.

This is one of the wealthiest companies in the country...lose some of the greed, invest in the employees and their futures, provide more assistance to DMs so they can accomplish the goals of the company and not be overwhelmed by inane and pointless tasks.

Other Reviews for Public Storage

Public Storage: All about money, could give 2 craps about their employees

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

No nights... that's about it.

Cons

Low pay for all the crap you have to deal with from customers, unclean work sites, dangerous work sites (not to scare anyone but I was robbed at gunpoint!), company puts you in compromising situations by not having locked cash drawers, security cameras, security, usable bathroom facilities (had to go to a grocery store on break to use the bathroom because the one on site had splattered feces everywhere)

Exercise tact when speaking with employees. Be mindful that $9/hour is not enough to support families, and don't patronize us, asking us to compromise our education and continuing school to work here, as if there are ANY growth opportunities.

Easy job with proper time management

Former Employee - Relief Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Travel opportunities. Individual work within a team. Ability to work inside and out

Cons

Must sometimes lie to customers to meet sales goals

None

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!