Public Storage: All about money, could give 2 craps about their employees

Current Employee - Relief Manager
Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No nights... that's about it.

Cons

Low pay for all the crap you have to deal with from customers, unclean work sites, dangerous work sites (not to scare anyone but I was robbed at gunpoint!), company puts you in compromising situations by not having locked cash drawers, security cameras, security, usable bathroom facilities (had to go to a grocery store on break to use the bathroom because the one on site had splattered feces everywhere)

Advice to Management

Exercise tact when speaking with employees. Be mindful that $9/hour is not enough to support families, and don't patronize us, asking us to compromise our education and continuing school to work here, as if there are ANY growth opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

1. Easy job with proper time management

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities. Individual work within a team. Ability to work inside and out

Cons

Must sometimes lie to customers to meet sales goals

Advice to Management

None

EASY OFFICE JOB THAT REQUIRES NO SPECIAL SKILLS OR EDUCATION

Current Employee - Resident Property Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Light work office job. Minimal paperwork and upkeep. If you have effective time management,this is an easy job.They cut the stock piling of PTO because too many PM/RF were making it impossible to schedule a district with all the four day weekends... I manage a very large property. My occupancy is always above 94%. All the goals are attainable. I have no problems staying above 90% on lock sales and insurance sales. They give you all the tools to complete those goals. The scripts work if you use them correctly. Doesnt matter what neighborhood your facility is in. Im in an extremely poor area.

Cons

Constantly trying to match LY numbers plus 20% growth. Especially in poor economic times. Should go back last five years,drop higest,drop lowest and average the rest. Very few companies in the world see a 20% growth year after year, do not know why they expect properties to do it. Rental increases. They are ridiculous. Long term tenants pay almost 70% more for the same size a new customer off the street would pay. Long term tenants should not be punished for consumer loyalty. If a tenant rents more than one unit,they get all the increases at once. Had two different tenants have increases totaling combined at $179 and $220 more PER MONTH. Upkeep for the properties (atleast in my district) is poor. For all the late fees alone a typical property brings in,there shouldn't be any issues. Some properties so not even have restrooms. They have to drive to another property to use the facilities. Bonus structure is not personal,or even property performance based. Your lumped in as a district. You have have the best numbers in the world,but if other properties in your district are lacking. It drags up down with them on a lower tier.

Advice to Management

Alot of these complains are invalid. If you do not want to learn scripts,do not get a sales job. If you do not want to work weekends,get out of retail. Other complaints I read have to do with a specific district or location. My advice to management would be to be competitive with wages. This job doesnt require special skills,or formal education,but at least be competitive with the industry you are the leader of. a PM has alot of responsibility for 10 bucks an hour. The general structure of things is off (at least in my district) All properties are busy the beginning and end of the month. Why do we have RM/DM visits and such when its the busiest time of the month. Why is my DM tying up my computer doing a PAR on the second of the month? Why is my RM doing visits going over scripts on the 30th of the month?