There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Disappointing 2 years

Current Employee - District Manager
Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Good Pay the first year with guaranteed bonus

Cons

As a District Manager you are working 7 days a week with no work life balance (even on vacation), micromanaged to the point of not running your own area. The upper management believes that learning and memorizing scripts will bring in sales. There is no real training department. There is even a script for DM's to use when coaching employees. No advancement for Property managers and the bonus and pay is pathetic and there is no advancement opportunity so there is no incentive for them to improve. Leadership leads with hostile tactics. Lock cuts are not safe and when the injuries are reported, the details are pushed under the rug. Regional sets up employees for failure so he can look better. This job is stressful and not worth the money.

Advice to Management

The arrogance of the upper management has made them lose sight of taking care of the people the has made you all the money. Pay the PM's a fair wage, give them the bonus program back, give them the PTO back and give them the opportunity to move up. When property managers have a reason to do a great job, the DM's can have a work life balance, because the PM's will be more accountable for their job.

reviews filtered by

Relief Manager

Current Employee - Relief Manager
    Current Employee - Relief Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people and off by 6pm.

Cons

I have worked here for the past 8 months and I been looking for a new job since my 2 week of working. The people at the call center make more money than field employees and 80% of the time they give customers the WRONG information. Only the PM's (well at least in my district) are off on Sunday and Monday. If you want request a Sunday or Monday off, you will work the next 8 days.

I don't know about anyone else, but I HATE those stupid scripts. They are impersonal and not realistic in a conversation.

There is no security what so ever. So if somene wants to rob you they can. The place is infested with roaches its disgusing. They are so unfair to long time customers.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right. Stop making unrealistic goals. Pay your employees every two weeks not twice a month.

Good money - horrible life style

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, bonus for first year is guaranteed

Cons

DMs are required to work and be available 7 days a week and at a moments notice. We were told several times that we needed to manage our families better so they would understand the needs of PS. Company structure micro-manages every last detail and the administrative requirements are unnecessarily exhaustive, and are mostly high level busy work that no one even reads or reacts to. Even when on vacation or on holidays, your supervisors will contact you constantly from the early morning to the middle of the night, meanwhile never themselves being available during their time off. There is more than 50% turnover in DM's every year. That is a fact.

The company is only concerned with stock holders dividends and frequently denies reasonable requests from customers as well as basic maintenance and upkeep of the buildings. Property Managers are not paid anywhere near their value (and are actually paid less than the industry standard), and they are constantly pushed to achieve unattainable goals and are treated with hostility, they are often questioned and reprimanded just because they are not well liked, and are treated like the obstacle to the company's success rather than trained and developed and incentivized. There is no opportunity for upward mobility for Property Managers which also hurts their performance.

Advice to Management

This is one of the wealthiest companies in the country...lose some of the greed, invest in the employees and their futures, provide more assistance to DMs so they can accomplish the goals of the company and not be overwhelmed by inane and pointless tasks.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage