Public Storage

Its a Job

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mainly work by yourself on a daily basis. If you do your job you will see the district manager no more than three times a month. A lot of down time at most properties. Job stability.

Cons

Lower level employees from Property manager and relief start out making $9.50. Bonus incentives have changed each year and the company has made it harder for employees to get a bonus. Company went from quarterly bonuses to yearly bonuses. Bonuses decreased each year during my 4 1/2 years at the company. Managers are only focused on numbers not employees. There is no opportunity for advancement. Property Manager is as far as you can grow. The company rather bring in outsiders to manage the district who has no clue how to manage the stores.

If you employee the Real Storage Experts pay them accordingly.

Other Reviews for Public Storage

EASY OFFICE JOB THAT REQUIRES NO SPECIAL SKILLS OR EDUCATION

Current Employee - Resident Property Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Light work office job. Minimal paperwork and upkeep. If you have effective time management,this is an easy job.They cut the stock piling of PTO because too many PM/RF were making it impossible to schedule a district with all the four day weekends...

I manage a very large property. My occupancy is always above 94%. All the goals are attainable. I have no problems staying above 90% on lock sales and insurance sales. They give you all the tools to complete those goals. The scripts work if you use them correctly. Doesnt matter what neighborhood your facility is in. Im in an extremely poor area.

Cons

Constantly trying to match LY numbers plus 20% growth. Especially in poor economic times. Should go back last five years,drop higest,drop lowest and average the rest. Very few companies in the world see a 20% growth year after year, do not know why they expect properties to do it.

Rental increases. They are ridiculous. Long term tenants pay almost 70% more for the same size a new customer off the street would pay. Long term tenants should not be punished for consumer loyalty. If a tenant rents more than one unit,they get all the increases at once. Had two different tenants have increases totaling combined at $179 and $220 more PER MONTH.

Upkeep for the properties (atleast in my district) is poor. For all the late fees alone a typical property brings in,there shouldn't be any issues. Some properties so not even have restrooms. They have to drive to another property to use the facilities.

Bonus structure is not personal,or even property performance based. Your lumped in as a district. You have have the best numbers in the world,but if other properties in your district are lacking. It drags up down with them on a lower tier.

Alot of these complains are invalid. If you do not want to learn scripts,do not get a sales job. If you do not want to work weekends,get out of retail. Other complaints I read have to do with a specific district or location. My advice to management would be to be competitive with wages. This job doesnt require special skills,or formal education,but at least be competitive with the industry you are the leader of. a PM has alot of responsibility for 10 bucks an hour.

The general structure of things is off (at least in my district) All properties are busy the beginning and end of the month. Why do we have RM/DM visits and such when its the busiest time of the month. Why is my DM tying up my computer doing a PAR on the second of the month? Why is my RM doing visits going over scripts on the 30th of the month?

Fabulous, Wanda is a manager that listens to her customers

Current Employee - Customer  in  Miami Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Customer in Miami Gardens, FL

I have been working at Public Storage as a contractor

Pros

Wanda is the greatest, she bends over backwards to make sure her customers are happy, not only does she go the extra mile but she does all she can to make the customer fell destressed o the things that are happening in their lives

Cons

Stop raising the payment on renters, they are doing the best they can. Since businesses are not paying cost of living it's hard to make ends meet, but Wanda does all she can to help

Wanda has that personal interaction with your customers and she make them feel that all is not lost

Public Storage Response

Apr 30, 2014Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!