Easy work, good pay.

Former Employee - Property Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Property Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule, easy work, guaranteed two days off.

Cons

Ever changing customer related scripts to learn.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

1. Public Storage has performance based culture that is very interested my professional developmental growth.

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public Storage has a great work/life balance, a competitive pay structure, and a fun environment. The leadership within the organization is inspiring to me.

Cons

There are limited resources when it comes to training materials but there is a strong culture of supervisory coaching down to the next level, etc.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time. Thank you PS.

Headache with Lies used for Asprin

Former Employee - Property Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free apartment with electricity included, you get to work alone

Cons

I worked for PS from 2009-2011, and I quickly became a manager at the Red Bank location just outside of Chattanooga. At first, I enjoyed the job until the DM changed. They brought in a guy who cared more about respect than the job being done right. He demanded respect, but did nothing at all to earn it. But, he gave you none in return. The scripts were ridiculous. They made you look like an idiot, and worse, they come off as talking down to the customer and insulting their intelligence. Personally, if someone talked to me like in those scripts, I would turn around and walk away. I remember one time, they were trying to increase the sales of their overpriced locks, so they made it a requirement to buy TWO locks. This is part of the script basically...Cust: I brought a lock. PS: Good! You only need one more. Cust: Why do I need 2? PS: To maximize security. Cust: Do you have alot of break ins? (this next part is amazing) PS: I'm glad you asked that. It seems like security is important to you. It is to us too. We do our part by having coded gate entry and security cameras. We ask that you do your part by purchasing these 2 locks. Talk about condescension. The script didn't even answer the customer's question! The scripts constantly changed too. It seems like they hired a bunch of college kids who had never set on a property to write the scripts. I see alot of people here mentioning the bonuses being taken. Did you ever notice that each time the bonuses were reduced or made even harder to obtain, a week or to before it happened, there would be an email from corporate telling us to welcome so in so, the head of some new department of whatever? How do you think those people get paid? Not to mention the so called 'safety manager.' This guy travels from city to city investigating the properties. He spends 10-15 minutes at each property, asking the property managers how to raise a door, and other common sense things like that. He then asks you what the 'safety topic' is for that month, and looks over your 'safety binder,' which never changes year to year. All they do is send you another flyer with the topic on it, with the current year's date on it. Now, I want THAT job. Getting paid to travel the country, complete with hotel and meals paid too, and all you have to do is annoy people for a few minutes a day? Sign me up!! And, I imagine its a pretty lucrative salary too! I'm going to go back to the upper management here. I mentioned the new guy I worked for. But his boss thought he was a drill instructor. This next segment illustrated the lack of communication and the low regard that upper management has for the property managers...One time, the regional manager came in, and I had locks in 2 different places behind the counter. He told me to get rid of one of the locations. I did, and the next time he came in, he told me that I disobeyed him, saying that he told me to get rid of BOTH of them. I politely reminded him that he told me to get rid of one of them. The next day, the DM who was there for both conversations reamed me for being disrespectful to the RM. The DM also lied to keep me there. I requested a transfer to Augusta, GA. It was (supposedly) approved. We were just waiting for the property manager there to work out his notice and vacate the apartment there. But then, I made the mistake of giving a second dollar move in special to a family who already had a unit there...even though the person moving in had a different last name than the other tenant. The DM rushed to write me up, then told me that in order to transfer, you had to be writeup free for a year. I finally relocated on my own, but I found out later from a different DM that there was no such rule. He made the whole thing up just so I couldn't leave. Do yourself a favor, and look into a different storage company if you want to go that route. There are others who treat their employees much better and pay more.

Advice to Management

Remember...The company can get along without all the layers of management. All you need is a regional just to coordinate. Even the smallest property makes as much or more than I did in a year. It isn't the upper management that makes money for the company. Its the property and relief managers; Yet you treat them worse than gum on your shoes.