Public Storage

multi-management

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL
Former Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customer service opportunities, direct contact with customers

Cons

no advancement possibilities for property managers

Develop opportunities for front end managers for continued employment into middle management after KTP. Some of these KTP managers are ready for the next step into possibly Senior DM position. After their dedication to the company it is not fair that there is no place to go after this last KTP training position at an A property. Benefits compensation is not good for field managers, needs to be reviewed and improved.

Other Reviews for Public Storage

I really want to enjoy my job.

Current Employee - Resident Property Manager
    Current Employee - Resident Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My DMs have been very competent, most of my coworkers are amazing people. I've met a lot of new friends, the work is inside and outside, and there's usually some downtime. I live on-site as well, so commute is awesome. It's a nice place.

Cons

See the plural up there? I've had three district managers in just over three years. Upper management has become overbearing and callous towards it's employees, DM and property people alike.
    Low pay, like everyone else has said. Since I live on site, I make 3$ less than my relief managers. Initially my pay was 1.50$ less but then they gave ALL reliefs an extra dollar in hopes it would 'encourage them to do the same amount of work as the property managers'. Add on the .50$ raise for them compared to my .27$ because it was based on a percent rather than work done... there you go. Even then, if something bad happens, it's the property managers fault. For 3$ less - 9.97$ an hour, even.
    Slow repairs to properties.
    Lock and insurance! We get written up if our numbers don't go up. I think our locks are pretty heavy duty (I've cut padlocks myself, at my old job) but not for 18$. Insurance IS a requirement but if people lie, we can't refuse to let them rent... even though our numbers go down. Then we get written up. So on and so forth. It murders morale.
    They've done away with the bonus system entirely save for the 'once a year' thing. I don't consider that a bonus. They word it to sound as if 40% of the company getting bonus is a lot much like in 1984 when they cut rations but made it sound super awesome. It's not. In a company where the smallest property makes in a month what I do in a YEAR... they can afford to give us a bonus, or raise the pay for property managers at least.

The scripts aren't so bad. I've been in sales for almost a decade, every place has their scripts. It's a pain to memorize them, yes, but this is the first time I've had eight to twelve different scripts or the requirement to never vary them even if to built a proper rapport. My regular customers have learned that if they come in with other people behind the counter not in uniform that they shouldn't expect me to act myself but rather spout scripts at them. Not learning them earns you a very aggressive talk from the RM and a write up.

Also, three write ups in the course of your ENTIRE career there gets you fired without question. If you've been there fifteen years, received one every five... and you're fired.

The only reason I'm with the company is because of the apartment and genuinely enjoy my customers - save for the ones I've called the police on. Or the skeevy ones who hit on me and won't let up because 'those security cameras catch everything?' wink wink.

I miss feeling respected and valued as an employee.

Same as all the others: Please pay us more. We are worth more. Stop taking away our PTO, please allow our DMs to do their jobs, do not expect ANYONE to sacrifice family or happiness to answer a phone call at 7am for idiocy. Stop thinking we're all stupid. We aren't stupid. Listen to our suggestions, look at us as more than numbers on paper, make it a good place to work again. I used to LOVE Public Storage and with the new corporate staff and Senior RMs, it's been depressing and sad.
    You wonder why morale is down and numbers are low? This is why.

Great place to grow and develop

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Joining Public Storage has been a rewarding experience for me. The “team” environment that exists at every level of the organization has made this an easy transition for me from my prior job. The initial training I received and the support of Senior Management has helped prepare me for whatever challenges may lie ahead. The freedom to try new ideas within my district as well as coach and develop my property managers into solid performers has been a very rewarding experience for me. I also see there is great potential for advancement based on me and my abilities and because of these possibilities I look forward to learning and teaching something new every day. I look forward to continuing my career with Public Storage and would recommend this Company to everyone.

Cons

The technology used is a little behind the times and would like to see an improvement in this area.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!