Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Happy DM

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Love the job. Best I've ever had. Lots of flexibility. Great place to work.

Cons

Lock cuts are rough on your body.

Keep being positive and sharing.

329 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

We don't store like its ours.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a somewhat "laid back" job depending on what locations you are sent to. There are set hours to work, you know what time you come in and what time you go home. No late night or early morning shifts.

Cons

You are left alone at busy locations. You are required to memorize over 20 scripts. District managers are hardly ever useful, so as a Relief manager you must problem solve to your best ability. Transients and "riff raff" who are unhinged, it is a scary job when alone.

Take better care of your employees, your sites are not safe.

Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I genuinely like the work, but am only surviving because I own my home. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees). We at one time had bonuses for keeping property above goals. Now they have made it that only 40% or less employees can qualify to receive any incentives, plus our PTO is designed to stay at under 40 hours.

Cons

My experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Teach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless aquisition of competing small self storage properties, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage