Refreshing

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I get to work with on a daily basis make my job rewarding and keep me coming back with a renewed energy every day. I learn something new each day but also get to teach something to someone which for me is a win win.

Cons

The technology used is outdated and to get help from the help desk hotline can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people on the front line that deal with the customers each and every day.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good work-life balance

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Able to have a balance between work and family - don't have to work extended hours.

Cons

Not a company that focuses on employee development.

Advice to Management

Develop your people so that they can advance to the next level - otherwise the risk is losing good employees who know a lot about the company.

My time at Public Storage

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like to multi-task this would be a good fit. Good learning environment for a young person who still lives with his parents and going to school.

Cons

Over my six years with PS I have seen many tactics that are not consumer friendly. Trying to get people to buy two locks if the door has that type of hasp and of course insurance. The employees have a lot of pressure put on them to sell the insurance, including management. The insurance PS offers has the lowest claim pay out in the industry. PS does have a bonus-incentive plan that has changed over the past few years to the degree that only 60% of the property people are eligible and of course the performance levels are raised every year so if you can't get 85% insurance sales how are you going to get 87%. The vacation time has also changed, many companies have a limit to the hours you can accrue, but PS come November will cash out your hours in excess of 40 hours with the fraise "Just In Time For The Holiday's". No kidding. The pay is low for the demands of the job and their is no opportunity for advancement from the property level. That would be the definition of a dead end job.

Advice to Management

Their is no need to offer anything here Ron Havner the chairman of the board and ceo has no regard for the people working the properties and if he can squeeze a nickel from them he will to satisfy the share holders.