Life experience

Pros

Laid back relaxing pace job.

Cons

Required to do more than three duties on the job combining as two full time jobs for little pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage

1. A hobby not a job path.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well being forced to sell a lock and insurance and now being forced to get a social media review is crazy. The company has become so micro managed it's insane.

Cons

The tenants that you see and grow a relationship with.

Advice to Management

Don't be so pushy. Raise the pay a bit and maybe think about promoting within.

Best company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Regional Vice President
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my experience at PS - the financial payouts are fantastic but that's based on a forced ranking. This allows competitive, solid performers to make very high incomes, average performers to make competitive incomes and poor performers find themselves with lower incomes. The compensation plan we use is the fairest I have ever experienced as an employee and personally - I love it. I have always been impressed how seriously PS takes the hiring process. We're very particular about who we hire; we are looking for future leaders and the potential for upward mobility is fantastic for employees that understand how to build high performance teams. A core expectation within the company is to develop people, create a positive working environment and to treat others with respect. I will never forget hearing my former Divisional Vice President talking to another DM while I was a DM trainee about the fundamental importance of building people up and not cutting them down when coaching their performance or behaviors. That always stuck with me and I just knew at that moment that I would love this company. 4 years later ....

Cons

Working some Saturdays and Sundays during our busy season. If a person isn't willing to work 1 Saturday and Sunday a month during our peak busy season - they're not a good fit for our company. We are a very structured company. After years of trial and error - the company has determined a key set of behaviors that work for our business and it's the expectation that everyone in the company embraces that structure. I was always a very entrepreneurial leader in past careers and that approach does not work here; knowing that going into the position made it very easy for me to accept and to embrace that culture. We take leadership seriously. If a person isn't good at hiring or developing people - they're probably not a good fit. If a person isn't serious about managing their business and creating an environment where employees can flourish - they're probably not going to be a good fit.

Advice to Management

I'd tell our executive team to continue down the path that we are already on. I am tremendously proud of this company and I appreciate the culture. I'd recommend more 360 degree feedback surveys for DM's and above. I think that's a very eye opening process that when done properly can produce tremendous benefits for all.

Public Storage Response

Jul 10, 2014 – Vice President Learning & Development

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it!