Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com
  www.publicstorage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it.

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

Cons

Poor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Look at your employee turnover.

347 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Soulless corporation

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes there's downtime to read or do homework if it's exceptionally slow, and since they're open 7 days a week, there's more flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Overall poor communication between employees and management
    Robotic sales scripts favored over personality of individuals
    Kickbacks for your managers for everything you sell, but no commission for you
    Properties are in complete disarray, and upper management's solution is to Jimmy rig instead of actually fix anything
    Constant harassment from management about sales numbers and quotas
    Lazy coworkers that are kept around despite their incompetence

Grow a conscience, treat people like humans instead of cash cows.

Worst Ever

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager
    Former Employee - Resident Property Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are fantastic, and your coworkers will likely be decent. If you do the job right, you will meet and befriend a number of your tenants, especially if you are a Resident Manager.

Cons

This has to be the worst company I have ever worked for. The pay is horrid, about half what the industry median industry wages are. Also, they refuse to pay for upkeep on their buildings. I had to call OSHA after 2.5 years of complaining about the dangers of having NO LIGHTS at the Property when it is dark. I actually went and bought my own light meter and found over 75% of the property, including RIGHT in front of my Apartment Door, registered absolutely ZERO foot candles. A month after I anonymously filed a complaint with OSHA, all the lighting was repaired. What a sad reflection on a company that safety and security concerns are not enough to warrant repairs, only when they face fines for blatant violations of the law do they spend the money. Also, it takes a Manager actually filing a complaint to have this done. Most managers will not, especially in this Economic Environment, because Public Storage can fire you and have you evicted from your home on 72 hours notice.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!

I left them to go work for another Storage Company that actually pays a percentage of revenue as a bonus in ADDITION to the Residence and HIGHER PAY RATE.

Promote internally, pay better wages.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage