Public Storage

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage

Property Manager

Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The district managers at this company are hands-on and always there to help.
The apartment that is offered is great incentive to become property manager.

Cons

Very pushy sales practices. Dealing with irate customers can be very unsafe at times. If I was unable to have a home security system, I would not live on the property. Pay is 9/hr when you are a property manager. If you were to get an off-site apartment and get paid regular, you would even out pretty much the same. Relief Managers rarely work at same location in the district, so there is quite a bit of travel to different locations. The company doesn't like to shell out too much money for maintenance.

385 Other Employee Reviews for Public Storage (View Most Recent)

Fire Me PLEASE!

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Moving is such a stressful time, I really like the type of work, being able to help people when they need it the most.

Cons

Since I started to work for Public Storage, they have taken away bonuses and vacation time. They ask more on a daily basis that they themselves wouldn't or couldn't do. As property managers we asked to prostitute ourselves for the Google review and become "used car salesmen" when customers move in by selling them merchandise they don't need. All the bonuses for those sales going to the DM or RM. While the properties are falling apart, golf carts set with flat tires and dead batteries. Gates held together by wire coat hangers. But don't forget the raffle ticket that could win you $50.00 but just made your DM $500.00. I am tired of jumping thru hoops and doing cartwheels to sell merchandise and begging for Google reviews.

Remember who makes the money that pays your Bonus, imagine how much the company would make if you gave back the things you took away... The threat of loosing your job is no longer incentive enough to make me do the things that I feel are unethical. I was looking for a Job when I found this one.

Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it.

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

Cons

Poor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Look at your employee turnover.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Storage