Publix

www.publix.com
  www.publix.com
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Employees are not machines.

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Tampa, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ummm....job security.
Meet many people, briefly.

Cons

Note on the pros: (You can not get fired for most any reason...though they will cut your hours serverly if they want you to quit)

Schedules are not consistent...at all...with no checks in the computer that designs your schedule to prevent you from leaving at 11PM one night, and opening at 6AM the following morning.
Tasks are distributed despite seniority, or skill, or even job class. If you are in the fancy uniform to work customer service, get out and sweat outside getting carts because you are a bagger for the next hour.

I can only summarize, we should not be machines for $8.50/hr handling $15K+ of money every day....it's just absurd.

Persons in the customer service should not just be any person that wants the job when it's need. If there is a shortage wait for proper staff to fill the void; in the long run greater employee moral would be expected

1365 Other Employee Reviews for Publix (View Most Recent)

Used to be great, not so much anymore.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Publix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will have a somewhat stable job, as in you won't get fired unless you are late or call in all the time. Hours however is a different story. They do give employees private Publix stock that generally gains value every year. You will get on the job training for the department you're in.

Cons

Everything else. Every post you read on this site about this company being better in the past is 100% true. I worked there for over ten years and even when I was first hired the company was already starting to rot away from the inside, according to my co-workers. It's so much worse now, unless you're a fat cat investor.

Mr. George is no longer with us and neither is the will of the company to care about you, the human being that is the tiny cog in the very huge machine. Recently in the past few years they have implemented cost cutting measures designed specifically to not only cut down on any raises you may receive, but actually dock your pay and hours if you "underperform" on evaluations which is highly objective to your, perhaps unqualified, immediate manager. In the past there were no caps on raises if you were a good worker, they are now severely limited to 25 cents per six months if you're a perfect angel.

Requirements for health insurance have gone up, it is nearly impossible to qualify unless you are full-time. Favoritism is a very real thing and in full effect here when it comes to hours and promotions. Instead of having human beings make schedules that make sense to people who have real life issues they now have a system called OASIS that makes the schedules for everyone and a computer doesn't care if your kid has baseball practice after school or if you have a second job. You can make requests for days and time, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it if the computer says you're needed. Don't count on getting full-time anytime soon, your schedules will vary wildly (close one night, open the next morning), and you're lucky to get enough hours to make a decent living wage. Yeah, it's true that they won't fire you unless you are outright disorderly, but if you are unliked they will give you merely 5-10 hours a week until you quit from frustration. On the other hand if you do get full-time they will work you like a dog and put expectations on your shoulders that are ludicrous. If you don't finish on time, no matter how much work you had to do or despite doing it at neck break speed, you will get in trouble and a bad evaluation which means you don't get that piddly 25 cents after half a year.

Go back to basics like Mr. George that you like to flaunt in employee propaganda. Take a look at it yourselves. What made the company great was the people behind it and caring for them like a family. Now this is nothing more than your run of the mill penny pinching corporation that will chew people up and spit them out. Eventually the quality of worker there will phase out and go down once all of the old timers are gone. You have managers for managers and other managers that look over those managers. Stop it. Get rid of that redundant middle management and make employee benefits more attainable and give out more hours to the small guys. They are the ones who carry the workload for those of you sitting behind desks.

mostly good. Higher pay starting out then your average low skill job

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, (BCBS of Florida) available after a year. Vision and dental after 90 days, even for part-timers. My hours average 30-35 a week as part-time. 1 stock given to you free every pay period but not vested until after 3 years (approx) of service. I have approx. $4300 worth after 4.5 years without having purchased any myself. Also, inventory bonuses every quarter after a year of service. Overall, best place I've worked for getting along with people. They promote mostly from within. Full-time is not usually given for awhile, but can be given in times of need to newbies who show they work hard. Managers make really good money with Publix, so if you really wanna do this the rest of your life, more power to ya! Most managers are good. They let us do our job and don't check up on us cause they know we will do what's needed. I like that.

Cons

Cashiers must be willing to bag also unless they are disabled. Bagging in the summer is absolutely awful as you must help the customer to their car unless they refuse service. It's hard and dirty work in departments like deli, where I am.

Bonus checks should be given separately from regular paychecks. Sometimes they are and sometimes not. The times they have been rolled together, I lost my entire bonus to taxes and also lost my food stamps. That was a B##@@@!

There are newer employer reviews for Publix