There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Employees are not machines.

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff  in  Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Tampa, FL

I worked at Publix part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ummm....job security.
Meet many people, briefly.

Cons

Note on the pros: (You can not get fired for most any reason...though they will cut your hours serverly if they want you to quit)

Schedules are not consistent...at all...with no checks in the computer that designs your schedule to prevent you from leaving at 11PM one night, and opening at 6AM the following morning.
Tasks are distributed despite seniority, or skill, or even job class. If you are in the fancy uniform to work customer service, get out and sweat outside getting carts because you are a bagger for the next hour.

I can only summarize, we should not be machines for $8.50/hr handling $15K+ of money every day....it's just absurd.

Persons in the customer service should not just be any person that wants the job when it's need. If there is a shortage wait for proper staff to fill the void; in the long run greater employee moral would be expected

1208 Other Employee Reviews for Publix (View Most Recent)

mostly good. Higher pay starting out then your average low skill job

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, (BCBS of Florida) available after a year. Vision and dental after 90 days, even for part-timers. My hours average 30-35 a week as part-time. 1 stock given to you free every pay period but not vested until after 3 years (approx) of service. I have approx. $4300 worth after 4.5 years without having purchased any myself. Also, inventory bonuses every quarter after a year of service. Overall, best place I've worked for getting along with people. They promote mostly from within. Full-time is not usually given for awhile, but can be given in times of need to newbies who show they work hard. Managers make really good money with Publix, so if you really wanna do this the rest of your life, more power to ya! Most managers are good. They let us do our job and don't check up on us cause they know we will do what's needed. I like that.

Cons

Cashiers must be willing to bag also unless they are disabled. Bagging in the summer is absolutely awful as you must help the customer to their car unless they refuse service. It's hard and dirty work in departments like deli, where I am.

Bonus checks should be given separately from regular paychecks. Sometimes they are and sometimes not. The times they have been rolled together, I lost my entire bonus to taxes and also lost my food stamps. That was a B##@@@!

Wonderful place, in theory.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Founded by a great man with great beliefs
    - Treat their employees well -- you can get benefits as part time
    - Always shifts to pick up
    - Eligible for a raise every 6 months

Cons

- Pay isn't that great starting out
    - It doesn't matter if you have a legitimate reason or not for being late, late is late; and 5 minutes or 2 hours, they both count equally against you
    - Some of the things they let customers get away with is outrageous

Pay more attention to employees & how well they do their job. Make sure to put the best of the best training people so it gets done correctly. Also, revamp the late/tardy policies.

There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!