There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Great if you don't mind having no life outside of the company

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready, willing, and able to completely embrace Publix not so much as a company, but as a lifestyle, you're going to be fine. Think upper-middle-class-white-deed-restricted-community types and you'll get a good idea of what most of the management/upwardly mobile class consists of. Pay is competitive Advancement is easy,...too easy, they keep promoting the unqualified just because they ask for it. Benefits aren't bad, and several can be obtained by part timers.

Cons

You will work so many hours, and get off so exhausted, you will have no life There is an "Us and Them" mentality between management and labor. Communication is almost nonexistent What you do off the clock will be weighed and judged just as much as what you do on the clock for purposes of moving up in the company,...and I mean everything, they want a very vanilla sort of person for management. Training is sink or swim. Watch a video, then "There's your job, do it." Management is terribly slow to fix any problem that comes up, and most company systems and policies are horribly slow to adapt. Managers are changed out so quickly, you barely adjust to the last one before there's a transfer and you start over with a replacement,...and they are far from uniform in quality.

Advice to Management

Have a more uniform level of performance amongst your management. Actual on the job training for new hires. Allow at least some members of management to work amongst the employees so they can actually observe what's going on. Don't assume because the people who want to be promoted tell you some new plan you've implemented is working that it really is,....Use some real analysis for a change. Remember that people have limits and stop grinding us into the ground. 11+ hours a day on a regular basis will wear your employees down and kill morale.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

1. If you don't plan on staying, I say keep searching.

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you desire to go up the ladder, you will if you try. Free item at the beginning of the month. If you find the right store, they've got the "Publix spirit," if you really get into your job. My particular manager that hired me did so with me having no work experience whatsoever, which I am grateful for. Great choice of benefits if you're full time; however even part-time associates can purchase stock only after a year of employment. Easy to access schedule and request time off. When you apply at the application center in one Publix, it sends it to many within 20 miles or so of the one in which you originally applied.

Cons

The part-time employees don't so much get a chance to get all of the good stuff on the benefits. If you're part-time you absolutely cannot work more than 40 hours in a week. Unless you want to close and have to stay until almost midnight a lot of nights, you don't get a lot of hours because closing shifts give you more hours. No discounts on anything, nada. Also they're pretty inconsistent with their management because how well a store is managed fluctuates pretty bad.

Advice to Management

Provide discounts for your employees. Think more of the seemingly insignificant roles. Focus more on keeping the management in each individual store consistent. Also, I love how you keep the stock accessible to only employees and make it available only after a year of employment, possibly one of your best decisions as a company, wonderful idea and setup.

2. Excellent people in a great work environment

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Coworkers work hard and play harder -Open door management policy -Lots of "morale booster" events and fun things

Cons

-Can be a bit overly political sometimes -Requirements have a tendency to change last second due to demanding business group

Advice to Management

Your employees are your lifeblood. They will work as hard as you need them to as long as you are up front with what you really want.