There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Publix has provided me the motivation to finish my degree.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tallahassee, FL
Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Publix worked around my school schedule. They offered fair quarterly inventory bonuses, they had benefits for part timers, and an employee stock plan. The work is ridiculously easy and the base pay is fair.

Cons

Management does a poor job explaining to employees why they make decisions, "You dont understand because you're not a manager," is not an acceptable response. Daily tasks divided poorly among various shifts.

Advice to Management

The mission statement says you are intolerant of waste, but I don't see this reflected in the work environment at all. Another thing I don't see is decisions that make money for the shareholders. Upper management seems to refuse to understand they are running a business and they can be more successful by making more profits.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent people in a great work environment

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Coworkers work hard and play harder -Open door management policy -Lots of "morale booster" events and fun things

Cons

-Can be a bit overly political sometimes -Requirements have a tendency to change last second due to demanding business group

Advice to Management

Your employees are your lifeblood. They will work as hard as you need them to as long as you are up front with what you really want.

2. Great if you don't mind having no life outside of the company

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready, willing, and able to completely embrace Publix not so much as a company, but as a lifestyle, you're going to be fine. Think upper-middle-class-white-deed-restricted-community types and you'll get a good idea of what most of the management/upwardly mobile class consists of. Pay is competitive Advancement is easy,...too easy, they keep promoting the unqualified just because they ask for it. Benefits aren't bad, and several can be obtained by part timers.

Cons

You will work so many hours, and get off so exhausted, you will have no life There is an "Us and Them" mentality between management and labor. Communication is almost nonexistent What you do off the clock will be weighed and judged just as much as what you do on the clock for purposes of moving up in the company,...and I mean everything, they want a very vanilla sort of person for management. Training is sink or swim. Watch a video, then "There's your job, do it." Management is terribly slow to fix any problem that comes up, and most company systems and policies are horribly slow to adapt. Managers are changed out so quickly, you barely adjust to the last one before there's a transfer and you start over with a replacement,...and they are far from uniform in quality.

Advice to Management

Have a more uniform level of performance amongst your management. Actual on the job training for new hires. Allow at least some members of management to work amongst the employees so they can actually observe what's going on. Don't assume because the people who want to be promoted tell you some new plan you've implemented is working that it really is,....Use some real analysis for a change. Remember that people have limits and stop grinding us into the ground. 11+ hours a day on a regular basis will wear your employees down and kill morale.