Publix

www.publix.com
  www.publix.com
There are newer employer reviews for Publix

There was great days, but it was mainly decent.

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Weston, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Weston, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Met some very interesting people. Had "regular customers," who appreciated my work and knew me by name. Countless times would people come up to me in public and recognize me from work. No set schedules so everyone gets to have random weekends off.

Cons

Some of the customers and managment would ruin your day. When you get a bad manager, or two, or three in the same store, it makes you want to pull your hair out. Most of the people (except for those trying to make a career out of it) have been there 5-20 years and get lazy, including management.

Treat your job like you did the first week you started. Try to actually CARE about your staff, instead of just focusing on their mistakes. Motivate. Captivate. Don't insinuate.

1326 Other Employee Reviews for Publix (View Most Recent)

A good place to work

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Publix is a great job for college students. They are very flexible with your schedule (if you're part-time), they have many benefits, and teach very valuable customer service skills to their associates.

Cons

You will be automatically kicked out of the system if you do not work at least one day a month. It hasn't happened to me but I always thought it was a weird rule.

A great place to work....if you're willing to wait your turn

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

Good starting pay for a grocery store ($2 above minimum wage). Flexible schedule. Very accommodating for time off when needed. Usually as many hours as you want to work (while staying under 40) as long as you play nice with your department manager.

Cons

Current department manager is simply there because they have stuck with the company and has no idea how to lead people. Entire store suffers from "wet your pants" syndrome when the regional manager comes in every 3-4 weeks. Completely contradictory rules are enacted when these visits occur. Performance reviews are worthless as far as coaching and mentoring associates towards positions of increased responsibility. They are simply kept low to justify minimum pay increases and keep associates in near dead end positions.

Take a good hard look at your department managers and how they got their jobs. I appreciate and respect rewarding tenure with a company but being there a long time doesn't necessarily make someone fit to be a leader.

There are newer employer reviews for Publix