great place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

awesome benefits for full timers, great managers and schedule.

Cons

as a cashier you have to be on your feet the whole time (as expected) that is the only con i can think of.

Advice to Management

the leadership was great.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's All Who You Know

Current Employee - Meals Clerk in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Meals Clerk in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Publix offers plenty of potential for advancement, and a fantastic benefits package--for the right people. Pay is good for the industry, and the management allows for flexible hours. Personally, I think the focus on customer service makes Publix a great company in which to work. Many of the people are great to work with, and managers are very helpful

Cons

Most of the benefits are for full-time employees, but the majority of associates are kept at part time, barely, so you work the hours without the benefits. Even if you have a regular 35 or even 40 hours available, it's nearly impossible to get full time unless you open your availability completely. Favoritism and nepotism are problems, at least at some stores. Policy enforcements are slow, to say the least. The whole chain is supposed to be changing uniforms, but currently only about half a dozen people at our store have the new uniforms. For many people, hours are inconsistent. One week you can get 15 hours and the next, 35 hours. Corporate imposes rules without ensuring that they work in real life. For example, demanding there be one person doing nothing but handing out samples between certain hours, but cutting the department's overall hours allowance, or scheduling only a couple cashiers on a day expected to be busy.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people. When associates bring complaints to management, they should be taken seriously. Don't play favorites with departments or people. Make sure that qualified associates reach full time before new associates. Allow part-time associates to accrue sick leave and vacation time. We need it just as much as full timers.

Working at Publix

Current Employee - Floral Specialist in Cape Coral South, FL
    Current Employee - Floral Specialist in Cape Coral South, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Working at Publix is one of the best decisions I've ever made! The benefits are outstanding, the opportunities are there for the taking, if you're ambitious, you can retire at 40! Where else can you do that? Without a college education to boot! I also love it that the salaries and bonuses are common knowledge. There are no secrets about who is making what, so if you want to go into management, you know exactly how much you can make and what your bonuses will be.

Cons

It's working at a grocery store. No ifs ands or buts. It's not glamorous, but it is what you make of it. If you concentrate on the customer and making them happy, you forget the rest. So the cons aren't really cons at all.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little guy, listen to us out there in the trenches about what works, what doesn't and what customers want. Because we hear it all day long and know what it will take to get the job done and keep the customers happy.