Typical cashier job

Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I worked at Publix

Pros

Pay was decent ($7.50) for someone with no previous experience. Hours were pretty good. Management was friendly.

Cons

Employee dress code is very strict. Standing on concrete floors all day is bad for your feet. Non-management employees weren't always the best. A lot of times you have to pick up the slack for others who can't do their job properly.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to let employees know when they aren't doing their job well. Too many slackers get by with little punishment or warning.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Easy, flexible hours.

Former Employee - Cashier in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

Great workplace, awesome management. Good hours

Cons

Customers can be picky and difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

An Ok place to work

Current Employee - Cashier/Deli Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Deli Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Management, at least at my location, are fairly supportive in allowing days not available not to work. They also are more willing than other places I've encountered to give you slack when you need it most depending on the circumstances. I don't even consider myself a "favorite" and I get that treatment. Its very hard to get fired at Publix, you have to do something big and down right bad to accomplish it.

Cons

The pay is below average in all departments. Its more than Kroger but thats not saying much. Opportunities for quick advancement are limited. The downside to Publix is that they retain too many people in the departments, this overextends the hours available making it hard to make a living if you're part time. The current raise increment is 15 cents for an above average evaluation, used to be 25 cents. Publix has had instances where it has rehired members of management who acquired a misdemeanor conviction stealing from their own store location.

Advice to Management

Focus more on transferring associates between departments and cross training instead of hiring new people. Increase pay to be a leader in the marketplace and draw better talent in the process.