Full of hypocrisy

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier  in  Miami, FL
Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Miami, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time for less than a year

Pros

401k and stock. Anything for the sake of improving Publix's reputation.

Cons

I would have to get 1000 hours in my first year of working here in order to get the Employee Stock Ownership plan. That's why they are cutting my hours, because they do not want me to own that stock for free. Plus, the only reason I have to ask every customer for a donation is to make the company look good. If Publix really cared about feeding the poor (Food for Sharing) or premature babies (March of Dimes), they would have donated 1% of their profits for those causes. But no, they want to leave the customer responsible for donating. They are not hungry for food, just for money.

Stop being so pretentious. Most of you are nice to the customers, but not at all to the employees. That has to change. Stop messing the schedules up through the Oasis, and do not make me go 7 hours without a meal!

Other Reviews for Publix

Deli

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Publix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quality pre-packaged "kits" for food prep. This means consistent and quality products for the deli.

Cons

The deli both where food is served and where food is prepared is filthy and disorganized. Food is supposed to be held for various periods of time, but it is often held longer. Food preparation standards are often not followed as prescribed. Management is unprofessional.

The store manager could hire a deli manager who is professional and cares about cleanliness and quality.

7 years down the drain

I worked at Publix for more than 5 years

Pros

The floors aren't dirt and the toilets flush (most of the time unless a bagger has to suction them out), there is air conditioning and a few chairs in the dirty, filthy break-room. The pharmacists get treated with the most respect and even get carpeted floors! There are a few weeks where customers aren't badgered too much for money for charity (a few). If you like lines, then it is better than ever to come to the store with fewer employees on the clock. Not having a self-checkout will help you make new friends while waiting in the long lines and picking out a floral arrangement is much easier as there are less choices to confuse you. Publix pays using the American dollar so it's easy to use your low wages to buy groceries at Wal Mart. If you do acquire stock, you can't cash it in (until you quit) if you have a family emergency so you can let other family members feel like the hero in the emergency. On a snow day, the company would prefer you wreck your car than not show up so then you can get a new paint job that you've been putting off. Since the company doesn't trust the employees, learn how to overcome the "shame of being" by really, really learning the company's videos on theft and shrink - after watching them, you'll come away with a really good feeling of selflessness.

Cons

Hiring from within is like marrying your cousin - it produces mentally unstable, slow children. This company is so cheap that they use outdated, inefficient equipment, was conned into buying the OASIS system of slavery, sells the same old tired products in the deli (and throughout the store) that waste employees' time throwing them together against a menu that keeps getting bigger and bigger, tomatoes that arrive frozen and mushy, sub rolls that vary in the quality with each batch, managers that don't manage or correct things as they are overworked but overpaid for what they do (don't do), a stock price that only went up 15 cents should be an indicator of the malaise going on in the stores, the dreaded soundtrack that blares Basia over and over for years, stores that are getting dirtier as window washers are fired, high school kids cleaning the floors in a hurry, poor inventory accounting, ads that seniors can't read as the print is too small, too many "feel good" commercials that make me want to puke, and I wonder if these comments will even get printed as this is a company run by Progressives who believe that everything "has to be fair" except for the distribution of the profits which mostly go to the Publix family. It reminds me of the Stuckey's plantations that used to line the highways up and down Florida except those places were not as stuck-up and rigid as Publix is -even the uniforms haven't been changed in over 8 years. Not an innovative company at all.

Stand up to corporate and demand less hours so you can have some enthusiasm for your job and not just piddle away your 11+ hours a day doing mindless tasks. Try talking to employees and using a notepad to write down the problems they have and then fix them. If management does not care, then guess who else doesn't care? Oh, and how about district managers loosening up and getting their hands dirty while they visit a store? I thought we were all on the same team but after years of seeing the store's standards go down the toilet, the idea of a Union might not be a bad thing for the hourly employees - which should please the Progressive owners except that would mean less control over the droids and their money....

There are newer employer reviews for Publix.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!