Publix

ProsGreat benefits
401K Match
Great for students
Lots of Part-time jobs
Pay is high for retail / grocery
If you work hard, they will give you hours
If you make friends with the right people, you will really go far

ConsFavoritism
Managers with terrible attitude problems & no respect for employees (making sarcastic remarks, talking to someone as if they are dirt under their shoe, etc)
Lack of Full-time promotions

(personal rant)
I've been with Publix for nearly 10 years, part-time. I have been told to "wait until an opportunity comes up". However, I have watched several of my peers work hard and advance their careers. Meanwhile, I'm working just as hard as my peers, but I'm stuck in a standstill and given no real explanation as to why when opportunities do rise, I am looked over or forgotten about. My management team are fully aware I want to advance to a full time position, but they continue to "place me in the corner". I recently have reached top performance scores in my job class, and still nothing. Management will not fully explain what they require from me, and it is very frustrating. I cannot lose my job, so I have to keep my mouth shut about I truly want to say to these people...
I am not prepared to invest another 10 or 20 years into a company that will obviously never give me a full-time career. Unless I find a store willing to promote and help further my career, I am reaching the end of my journey with this grocery store. I am going to finish my BA degree and then most likely leave unless things drastically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a simple "yes or no" answer to someone who is asking about full-time positions and offer more full-time careers. That way people wont waste their time on false hopes. Honesty and straightforwardness go a long way.
Demote any manager that displays nasty, degrading attitude to management and/or the employees. If you allow a bully to prosper, they will start growing a poison that will spread within the district, within the state, and eventually within the entire company. Management need to remember where they started and that everyone in the company is on an equal standing and level with each other. And if they are unhappy, maybe they should leave instead of making other people's lives miserable.

Check with the employees before inquiring

Front Service Clerk (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Publix part-time for more than a year

Pros: Good first job for (well-mannered) teens who need experience in customer service. Very clean stores with… Cons: Overstaffed with teens who have poor attitudes. Insulting training out at far off facilities. Older staff and younger staff tended to clash… Advice to Senior Management: Hire kind people if you expect them to be kind… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Once a Great Family to work with.

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The financial performance of the company and the growth of… Cons: It is expected that all work needs take precedence over any family obligations. Publix spends a… Advice to Senior Management: I would advise Todd Jones and Ed Crenshaw to investigate employee attitudes in the corporate office aside from the failed AVS program. After working in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Publix.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!