I like my job...but....

Current Employee - Customer Service in Lake Worth, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service in Lake Worth, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits 401K Match Great for students Lots of Part-time jobs Pay is high for retail / grocery If you work hard, they will give you hours If you make friends with the right people, you will really go far

Cons

Favoritism Managers with terrible attitude problems & no respect for employees (making sarcastic remarks, talking to someone as if they are dirt under their shoe, etc) Lack of Full-time promotions (personal rant) I've been with Publix for nearly 10 years, part-time. I have been told to "wait until an opportunity comes up". However, I have watched several of my peers work hard and advance their careers. Meanwhile, I'm working just as hard as my peers, but I'm stuck in a standstill and given no real explanation as to why when opportunities do rise, I am looked over or forgotten about. My management team are fully aware I want to advance to a full time position, but they continue to "place me in the corner". I recently have reached top performance scores in my job class, and still nothing. Management will not fully explain what they require from me, and it is very frustrating. I cannot lose my job, so I have to keep my mouth shut about I truly want to say to these people... I am not prepared to invest another 10 or 20 years into a company that will obviously never give me a full-time career. Unless I find a store willing to promote and help further my career, I am reaching the end of my journey with this grocery store. I am going to finish my BA degree and then most likely leave unless things drastically change.

Advice to Management

Give a simple "yes or no" answer to someone who is asking about full-time positions and offer more full-time careers. That way people wont waste their time on false hopes. Honesty and straightforwardness go a long way. Demote any manager that displays nasty, degrading attitude to management and/or the employees. If you allow a bully to prosper, they will start growing a poison that will spread within the district, within the state, and eventually within the entire company. Management need to remember where they started and that everyone in the company is on an equal standing and level with each other. And if they are unhappy, maybe they should leave instead of making other people's lives miserable.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

1. bakery Manager

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get stocks from the retirement plan.

Cons

working 50 hours a week can be a little of a burden for a family with small childrens

Advice to Management

working 50 hours a week is a little overwhelming, specially when you have little kids...

2. Check with the employees before inquiring

Former Employee - Front Service Clerk in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Front Service Clerk in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first job for (well-mannered) teens who need experience in customer service. Very clean stores with relatively helpful staff. Full-time employees are able to get stock in Publix (so I was told).

Cons

Overstaffed with teens who have poor attitudes. Insulting training out at far off facilities. Older staff and younger staff tended to clash via mind games. Managers did not care about any of their employees except for select few (who were coddled despite their bad behavior).

Advice to Management

Hire kind people if you expect them to be kind to your customers.