Publix

Retirement

Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Retirement benefits used to be fair and unbasised. Stock was basied on us not the DOW. I have made a good living working with Publix. The customers are great. I enjoy my job for the most part.

Cons

Retirement benefits are being manipulated, senior management doesn't have a clue. I fear that the changes in our upper leadership has changed to the point that we are in a downhill slide and senior management can't or choose not to stop it. I used to bleed Publix, now I fear my future with the company and my ability to retire comfortably is going away.

Retirement benefits (stock) should be based on company performance, not excuse driven. Each time we read the company performance statement and we've done well, their is an excuse as to why the price of company stock doesn't reflect it.

1437 Other Employee Reviews for Publix (View Most Recent)

Publix is great...most of the time

Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

As a full time associate, I get more benefits than I did working for Wachovia Bank. I am the "experienced" closing office staff, so I get perks when it comes to my schedule. They are accommodating when it comes to needing time off, and getting vacation does not require much, as far as time. In the 5 years I've been there, I have a nice 401k built, better than anyone else my age (20 years old.)

Cons

They have almost eliminated the back office position, which is less secure in my opinion. In the effort to save the company money, hours have been cut back significantly, which affects the morale of associates. Some managers feel they are better than everyone else, and will make you feel stupid in front of customers.

Back up the office staff when it comes to returns or check cashing. Having banking experience, I know what to look for, and do not like when management goes and approves a check I turned down. Although the feeling I get when it gets returned from the bank makes it better. Listen to your associates, and try not to show so much favoritism.

NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK, NOT A PLEASURE TO CUSTOMERS OR ASSOCIATES, AND NO APPRECIATION FOR A HARD WORKING INIDVIDUAL!

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Bonuses, most associates are friendly and easy to get along with, employee prescription discount program, cleanliness in the departments, and most management staff are pleasant and treat non-managment staff with mutual repsect.

Cons

The deliberate way of cutting part-time hours (and increasing the the minimum hour requirment at the same time) in order to remove them from the group medical coverage within the past year. Favoritism in regard, to how many hours worked per week. For example, certain part-time people get more hours in one week than other part-time people in the same department. Sometimes at least 3 times more hours than others. This is allowed, doesn't sound fair to me! More seniority means nothing either. Hard work and effort is not appreciated anymore (that can be said for a lot of companies too though). Take closing for example, some associates use the "FOOD ONLY" sink to clean equipment in with bleach and soap. Some use no soap at all, because apparently it takes too much time to clean things properly. They gotta get out of there at exactly 10pm or 11pm on the dot! I don't see why there is a rush anyway. I also don't see the "pleasure" in trying to pressure people to buy more in the deli. Personally, I can't stand it when I go somewhere and every employee interrupts me while I am shopping or tries to get me to buy something else I don't need! I don't like it when people do that to me (I just don't go back, and I don't enjoy being made to feel like I am a wallet, and not a person who is just trying to survive), Aggravation like that, from the employees is not a "pleasure". Another bite is the times that management chooses to hold staff meetings, like 5 am in the morning. Most people are sleeping still at that our anyway. It is a not good idea because: people are driving in a sleepy fog, people are irritable when they are forced to be up and at em in the pitch black of night, and how can you expect people to concentrate and focus when they are in such a tired condition? God forbid they should open the store an hour later once or twice a year, or have others come in from other stores and departments to cover for an hour.

Treat all associates in your departments fairly and equally. What goes for one part-timer should go for all part-timers in the department. If a department meeting is needed do it at a sensible hour (at least wait for the sun to come up) so something may be accomplished. Isn't that the reason for the meeting in the first place? Try to retain associates also, appreciate it when someone is a hard worker. Give recognition, give a gift card (other than Publix) when someone has earned something. There are many others that Publix sells in the stores. WeI can buy food with Food Stamps or cash. Publix gift cards are BORING especially when you work there. STOP FAVORITISM!

There are newer employer reviews for Publix