There are newer employer reviews for Publix

Not the best place to work...

Former Employee - Bagger for Three Months Then Cashier for Two Years in Spring Hill, FL

I worked at Publix

Pros

you get a good amount of hours-i was in high school and on two varsity sports teams while working there and still received a good 20+ hours per week.

Cons

They expect you to have a huge grin (not exaggerating) on your face while bringing in grocery carts in 90+ weather.

Very picky about bathroom cleanup.

I once had to call out because I was in the hospital and I was yelled at and hung up on. I spent the next hour crying.

I was once screamed at by a manager because a can of tuna wasn't pulled up-I wasn't even the one who was supposed to be leveling that night-I was on a register until closing.

Advice to Management

Be appreciative of the hard work that people do.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Publix

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

Very supportive management. They want you not only to succeed but to make a career of Publix weather in the stores or corporate.

Cons

Publix is a career not a job regaurdless of possition. They expect the job to be your main priority and family life can sometimes take a back seat.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive and willing to assist to make employees better. I would like to see more accountability for some of the staff.

publix isnt all its cracked up to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at Publix

Pros

decent benefits are available, but health insurance is rather pricey--$450/wk for family coverage. the stock plan is very good: they give you shares of stock in the company just for working there. they give out bonuses yearly, but they are very small for non-management personnel

Cons

there is a HUGE discrepency between management pay/bonuses and non-management pay/bonuses. managers receive minimal training on effective management techniques. management could really care less about employees family/personal needs, but this is common in retail and food service industries.

Advice to Management

please try to narrow the huge gap between management and non-management salary/bonuses/benefits. coach your department managers to praise employees for jobs well done. be more flexible with shift assignments.