my experience at puppet labs was not bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portland, OR
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

one of the main pros about puppet labs was the overall great company morale. the work was great and very satisfying. i loved what i did.

Cons

one of the main cons about puppet labs was lots of back stabbing and politics.

Other Reviews for Puppet Labs

Interns are well treated, well paid.

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet Labs as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned there last summer, and had a blast. My boss went to a lot of effort to make sure the interns got the most out of the program. He put in a lot of hours making sure we got actual training on good software development, not just for the specific work we did there, but more general stuff like good database design and software design patterns (even if we never used them).

They also paid enough to actually make renting a room in Portland affordable, which is not to be sneezed at.

Cons

Nothing. I like it a lot.

How well a company treats its lowly interns says a lot about how they treat their employees in general. Keep up the good work.

Arrogant management, toxic teams, slim to zero potential for career management, does not appreciate current employees.

I have been working at Puppet Labs full-time

Pros

Free bagels on Mondays.
    Lax vacation and WFH policies.
    That's probably it.

Cons

Arrogant management — refuse to acknowledge imperfections in the company; constantly trying to feed us crap about how this is a great place to work while consistently ignoring employee complaints and failing to see /understand employee dissatisfaction.

Ridiculous review process — constantly changing; new system is terribly untransparent and does not compensate employees appropriately for work. Seen several team members constantly undervalued and never advance in career despite hard work and being deserving of it. Raises are a paltry 1 to 3% for many, despite good reviews and good funding, which is pretty insulting and unmotivating. There's currently a consistent exodus of old timers within the company and management is in denial about it (see previous point).

Managers and HR waves off poor compensation by pointing out "perks" like bagels, kegs in the office, and free lunch on Wednesdays. News flash alert — almost every startup has said perks, and does them a hell of a lot better than these jerks. Lots of employees would rather see those benefits in their bank accounts than wasted on cold, poorly catered lunches. Wake up.

Don't screw over old timers. Take a look at the people who've been here for a long time and wonder why they haven't advanced in a career — is it you or them? Stop thinking that you're the best company in Oregon. Because lots of us would work elsewhere in a heartbeat, bagels or no bagels.

Puppet Labs Response

Jul 14, 2014CEO

Hi,

I'm very sorry that you have had such a negative experience at my company. The experience is obviously unacceptable, and I will be working hard to see how much of it is shared and what we can
    ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Puppet Labs.

Worked for Puppet Labs? Contribute to the Community!