Purdy's Chocolates

www.purdys.com
There are newer employer reviews for Purdy's Chocolates

The Fattest Job in Town

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates

Pros

All you can eat free chocolate at work and a staff discount. (My doctor sees this as a con not a pro!)

Cons

Yes, you have to taste the product, that's expected because (as my manager said) “you can’t sell what you don’t know”. There is a checklist you have to fill out describing each one so there is no avoiding the calories! One chocolate has around 10% of the saturated fat a healthy person should eat in a day. Those chocolates you have to consume as part of your job add up until, like me, you will look in the mirror one day to realize that you have become fat and unhealthy. My doctor says I am now “morbidly obese”. Purdy’s will take years off your life and you won’t get any health benefits like dental because they keep your hours just below the level you need to work to be eligible for them. There aren’t any full time sales associates at Purdy’s for this reason.
When I added up my dental bills it didn’t take long to realize that I didn’t make that much money at Purdy’s at all.
It’s just not worth your health. I’m still trying to lose the weight, some side benefit! Even my doctor recommends that I should choose a job that is better for my health. It doesn’t take much time to stack the weight on and it’s going to take me years to lose the weight. Did you know that more people die from obesity than terrorism and AIDS combined?
Think of the consequences before you go for a job with this company. It’s just not worth it!

Your health benefits should be available to the majority of your employees rather than just the managers. If you’re going to shorten the life of your employees it would only be fair to give them access to health benefits!

17 Other Employee Reviews for Purdy's Chocolates (View Most Recent)

The Sweetest Job in Town!

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates

Pros

Yes, you have to taste the product, that's a side benefit! But the real advantage to working with this company is the great people you'll be working with, and if you like dealing with the public, this is an incredibly rewarding position. The company retains employees for a reason---everyone I've worked with is as exceptional as the product.

Cons

Some will consider this a "pro", but if you're ambitious, it's not a very demanding job, and the opportunity to advance may be limited by economic conditions.

I can't offer advice to improve leadership at this company...I think it is very well managed, well run, and stands as an example among Canadian employers for a huge number of reasons I couldn't possibly address here. I will instead say thanks for hiring me. I'm grateful for the job, and I enjoy coming to work.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Purdy's Chocolates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to grow. Management is very encouraging.

Cons

Tasks keep getting added to your list as months go by and you are not paid enough for the work they make you do.

great management