Employer of Choice

Former Employee - Interpreter  in  Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Interpreter in Oakland, CA

I worked at Purple Communications

Pros

Good salary. Center managers are generally great. Working vacation opportunities. By and large the best interpreters in the business.

Cons

Management does not understand the field. Management tries to run the workforce like they are easily replaceable rather than scarce. You cannot alienate the interpreter population and then replace them new interpreters of equal skill. There just aren't enough interpreters for that.

Interpreters are only valued for what they can do with their hands up in a booth, not for other skills. Little to no chance of advancement for interpreters, unless they also have an MBA, regardless of their other degrees or contributions to the field.

Right now it looks like Purple is getting back on the right track. It looks like they've scaled back a bit and refocused on providing good service with realistic goals in terms of work force and locations. A little respect goes a long way, treat your interpreters like you value them and they'll work hard for you. Don't act like you know more about the field than we do. Take our advice and counsel, we've been here a long time, we know what we're talking about.

Other Reviews for Purple Communications

No room for professional growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Purple Communications

Pros

Good atmosphere, friendly environment. Respectful of personal time/sick days/vacation.

Cons

No annual reviews. No raises. The people making decisions don't take the NEEDS of employees into consideration.

Listen to what employees need, make it easier for us to do our jobs! Respect us for our expertise.

If you want to know what an American sweatshop is like, go to work for Purple.

I worked at Purple Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As others have said, center managers tend to be great. The interpreters are great too. Those are the only two positives.

Cons

Management is never satisfied. No amount of hard work is ever enough. There is zero coporate integrity. Log in times, asa's and demands to compete against your peers for scheduling preferences have gotten worse and worse while bennies go down and so does pay. Interpreters are not only not valued they are disrespected. There is no worse vrs/vri company to work for.

Advice can only be given to people who will listen and or care. Pardon the pun but any advice to management at Purple falls on deaf ears.

There are newer employer reviews for Purple Communications.

Worked for Purple Communications? Contribute to the Community!