There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Good firm, decent salary, long hours, no work-life balance, no benefits, and difficult to scale

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

PwC has a great brand name and good recognition in corporate America. This goes a long way in any client engagement. As a large firm, PwC also has a lot of resources at its disposal which is useful. You work with reasonably intelligent and hard working people, which always makes it easier. PwC also has some senior leadership who are active in the day-to-day activities of engagements, which is good when they make firm-wide decisions that impact us.

Cons

Unlike most consulting firms, PwC does not have an up-or-out structure, which results in a lot of incompetent people who are perfectly happy to stay where they are at. This also means that there is no clear cut path to making Partner should you choose, and a lot more chaff than wheat. Furthermore, while PwC pays well, their benefits (especially health and retirement plans) are pretty dismal. It is so poor that I am on my wife's healthcare plan as her spouse, which offers me more than PwC's own plan. As a large firm with audit and tax divisions, PwC also comes with a lot of regulatory and other overhead, which impacts the amount of time you can spend on your actual engagements. Unlike the consulting divisions of other, similar companies (e.g. Deloitte), PwC's consulting analytics are all run by the engagement teams (e.g. expense reports, engagement margins etc). So, this adds additional overhead to already overworked teams.

Advice to Management

1. Provide a clear-cut path to the top for those that are interested, intelligent, and willing to do what it takes. Ensure that under-performers are quickly taken care of. 2. Improve employee benefits to line with other consulting firms, especially around healthcare. 3. Reduce the overhead on engagement teams and provide more ancillary support for things like expense management, administrative overhead etc. 4. Be more transparent in the salary structure and career paths for a given line of service.

Other Employee Reviews for PwC

1. Tough culture leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

Pros

Great brand with the ability to open corporate doors. Good investment in training and development. Knowledge management is strongly prompted.

Cons

Partner fiefdoms create a lot of friction in sharing resources. Career success largely depends on which partner you align yourself with.

Advice to Management

Seek to understand who the real contributors of value are among the employee ranks and reward them. Avoid performance review process that rewards favoritism and cronyism.

2. Slow to promote, promises were made and not kept, and performance reviews exhibit favoritism

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

PwC is a great place to start a career in accounting. I have had many opportunities to learn a lot in a short period of time. Most of the people I work with are very smart, and are great in general. The amount of vacation time (22 days) is amazing, if you can find time to take the days off. Of course, the name on a resume is unbeatable.

Cons

The review process is extremely unfair. As someone who had a majority of "exceeds expectations" reviews, I did not see this reflected in my promotion raise or bonus (there was no bonus). I have also seen bad reviews written with no examples provided purely based on favoritism. Similar occurrences happen during annual reviews. Many promises have been made to me both by HR and managers in terms of the types of clients I would be working with, but after 1.5 years they have not been kept. To top it off, of the Big 4, PwC is the slowest to promote. It is nearly unheard of to reach senior in 2 years. Making manager in less than three is becoming increasingly difficult as well, while PwC is running into a staff shortage.

Advice to Management

Improve the review process, and work harder to hold on to your employees. No one wants to work at a company that only keeps its promises when its employees have a competing offer.