PwC

www.pwc.com

Company is good, but opportunities outside the standard accounting track are limited

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros1) Generous vacation package (start at 3 weeks, get 4 weeks after 2 years). If you're hired as a manager you get 4 weeks right away I believe.
2) At least in my department (which existed outside the normal assurance engagement team model), work hours were flexible and you could work remotely.
3) Work is fairly autonomous - there's not a lot of micromanaging so you basically structure your day how you best are able to tackle the task at hand.
4) If your goal is partner in an accounting firm, working in another smaller accounting shop, or doing consulting, then PwC is probably one of the best companies you can go to, because you are very marketable when looking for new jobs, and the culture they embody trains you quite well in those disciplines.

Cons1) Busy season and overtime in general. For two or three months out of the year you will be working at 60-80, if not more, hours per week. This goes for most lines of business, although my experience is only in Assurance (auditing). Overtime throughout the year to some degree is expected. This is fairly standard for a Big4, but nonetheless it can significantly disrupt your life, especially if you have kids.
2) Constantly connected. This is the dark side of flexibility. With a laptop and a blackberry and the expectation of overtime much of the year, it becomes very hard to separate yourself from the seemingly endless stream of tasks in what seems like an ever-shrinking amount of time.
3) For those who are not accountants and who work in what might be considered "supporting" tasks, like programmers/developers, IT, business analysts, project managers, etc, there is no clear advancement structure in PwC because these roles are non-standard. The best bet you have is to get your experience and then go find another job somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis will probably never happen given that it's practically industry standard, but some consideration on working hours would be great help in advancing towards a true work/life balance. Also, for those roles which fall outside of the standard rank and file, provide more clear paths for advancement.

tax Manager

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great learning experience, opportunities to jump into private industry Cons: Work life balance is pretty bad. Constant stress Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Disorganized, Not a well run ship

Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros: 1. Everyone has knows PwC 2. Some practices are world class… Cons: 1. Very few practices have significant exposure to C-suite executives 2. Internal firm services are very disorganized. Examples: Campus recruiting interviewing candidates for positions that… Advice to Senior Management: 1. Bench mark Advisory against consulting firms and not accounting… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on PwC.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!