There are newer employer reviews for PwC

A post business undergraduate perspective of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Current Employee - Advisory Associate
Current Employee - Advisory Associate

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The PwC work culture is fast paced and a great starting point for business undergraduates. The Firm invests in each of its employees providing them with unlimited access to the tools they need in order to offer value-added services to our clients. It is a privilege working with the people on my team as they respect and demonstrate their care of my development. For example, prior to my start date during my last year of business undergraduate university, the Company sent a care package as a gesture of good luck on my exams. Because of the nature of the Firm, it is easy to land new opportunities to progress in your career. Additionally, the benefit packages and perks, at least at my office offer great coverage and support for yourself and your immediate family.

Cons

PwC is a professional services, client based focused industry. Providing quality services to our clients is one of the top priorities of a project. What that translates to is when push comes to shove, the number of hours you and your team spend completing a project can equate to 12-16 hour work days. Since the firm is salary-based, there is no overtime pay. Sometimes recognition for the amount of hours you put into the project does not feel like fair compensation. Another downside to working in a client based industry is tracking the number of hours you spend working on each client. Sometimes you are not just staffed on one client and can end up working on as much as 20 clients in a day. Tracking the time you spend in compliance with daily time submission can get tedious.

Senior Management is a broad term as there is no 1 person you report to in this Firm. There is the official one you are assigned to, but of the multiple manager I have worked with, I give my gratitude for being open minded and professional about soliciting and receiving constructive feedback. I can speak for the people that I have worked with in saying my upper management team respects me as an individual and listens to my ideas and concerns should I ever need to discuss with them.

reviews filtered by

PwC great learning environment but short on work/life quality with too much at stake with politics.

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Top notch training and exposure to the best in the business with respect to knowledge management. Additional advantage to high quality engagements in most respects with great learning opportunities.

Cons

Work/life balance is more a punchline than a tenet. Lack of respect for subordinates is more rampant than should be in such a level of firm. Political game not necessary but ever so prevalent.

Remember that we're a people business and that if our people are not happy, our clients will see this and will respond accordingly. Take the gladhanding out of the equation and get down to focusing on true professional development and growth.

2. PwC training is tops but work-life balance not best

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC

Pros

Training is top notch. Very educated and technical peers also abound when you need references. Updates are quickly disseminated when a new law gets passed that may impact your work. It's great experience before leaving to join industry or other places. Many skills are transferrable.

Cons

Hours are the worst for those in tax department. Had some work weeks as low as 55 hours and then other weeks close to 90 hours. Staffing and turnover seems to be a problem. That can be frustrating when having to retrain new employees. Also PwC is not up to modern standards when it comes to telecommuting. Instead it is allowed only for managers. Makes sense to offer some days each week for those who opt to telecommute. Another downside is politics but you can't escape that anywhere.

Mentor and provide constructive criticism. The job is demanding and recognition is deserved when expectations exceed.

There are newer employer reviews for PwC