Great benefits and starting salary but work way too much

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Tax Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at PwC

Pros

PwC is definitely a great place to work. There are a lot of perks like free food, breakfasts, prizes, cash cards, and coffee treats paid by management. There also lots of benefits such as 4 week paid vacations if worked there for 2 years, unbelievable health insurance, unlimited sick days, 3 week paternity leave, maternity leaves, and a pension system. There are a lot of smart people here and the partners and directors are very knowledgeable. You learn a lot every day and are challenged 4 out of 5.5 days at the office (that's right, 5.5 days, which includes half a day on Saturday). Starting out, the pay is really good but I don't think the pay is comparable to the other three firms once you've been there. PwC is ranked #1 in the Houston market.

Cons

The one thing I don't like the most being at PwC, or any other Big 4 in general, is that we work way too many hours. Sometimes, you see life flying by and don't realize that 4 years went by. I wish there was more of a down season. The dental benefits aren't the greatest but what dental plan is good. There are Spot Bonuses per quarter for staff not in management; however, if you are in management, you don't get your bonus until September. Where is the motivation there. I think PwC is also too nit picky that they overlook the small details of making life at the firm better (i.e., jeans on friday, too concerned about profits and ignoring the life balance of the employees, etc...)

Reduce amount of hours worked and pay bonuses to managers / directors on a quarterly basis instead of annually in September.

Other Reviews for PwC

A great place to work!

Current Employee - SPA Manager  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - SPA Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The people, simply put. There may be politics, the people at this firm are the best in class because of what they know, how they do their jobs and how they make sure that quality is infused in every aspect of their work.

Cons

Sometimes the hours and more often the inconsistency in communication at the local level. There is still a "turfiness" to this firm between different areas which affects our ability to effectively compete, but we are still very good at what we do.

Keep your eye on the client and break down the internal barriers.

PwC, a fun place to work and start a career.

Current Employee - Advisory Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The culture of the firm is great. Everyone is friendly, supportive and smart so there is always someone willing to help if asked. After work, it is not uncommon for groups to go out and have fun. People form bonds quickly and outside social events occur almost weekly.

The firm also emphasizes involvement beyond just putting in hours and working. Community service is greatly encouraged. Recruiting is a top priority as well. The firm is very flexible when it comes to work-life balance is it is easy to take time off to perform community service, participate in recruiting or just relax in general.

Cons

Client service is a very difficult and competitive job. PwC is always trying to create the most value for the client. This sometimes means working very long hours. The pay could definitely be better or even scaled based on skill. It is frustrating to see smart and talented individuals in one group struggle through 12 hour days while individuals in another group consistently work 8 hours doing work that an intern can perform. Bonuses can also be a lot more competitive. Front-office, client service bonuses are less than back-office operations bonuses in other firms.

PwC has been trying to cut down on costs. Most recently, retirement plans and contributions have been significant reduced for entry-level staff.

Given the mediocre pay, reduced benefits and amount of work, it almost appears as though PwC is not interested in growing staff internally. PwC has always had a supportive culture where individuals can move through the ranks and become partner. These new changes will probably result in very high attrition rates leading to a culture where employees are seen as resources and commodities instead of assets.

There are newer employer reviews for PwC.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!