Good entry level position

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good way to get experience coming out of school and get your CPA license. Just finished my second year, but looking to leave for something non-accounting. Certainly a lot of opportunities within the firm, but I have no interest in becoming a controller or a director of financial reporting one day. I've advanced my Excel skills and learned how to adapt to a corporate environment with LOTS of red tape. If you want to move to a different city/country, the opportunities are there.

Cons

You experience can very GREATLY depending on your market, line of service, and most importantly the people who you work for/with. If you get stuck on a terrible client with terrible managers/partners, you probably won't last too long. Get on a client/team that's organized and you can probably stomach it for a while. You really need to fit into the box if you're going to succeed in the audit practice. There's no time for innovation or to challenge old ideas. The mentality is "just get it done." Which is pretty much true for all Big 4/accounting departments. I guess at the end of the day working for PwC helped me realize that I have ZERO interest in continuing to practice accounting.

To the uptight managers that think you MUST work 80 hours a week during busy season because we work for a public accounting firm: you need to lay off and calm down. This job is not THAT serious. Treat your associates like you actually care about them and they'll be willing to do whatever you ask. Oh, and why does everyone need to show up/arrive at the client site at the EXACT same time everyday? I don't need to get in at 8:30 just because the manager has an audit committee meeting that morning. And I certainly don't want to stick around for extra hours at night because I can work faster then the B players on my team and once I finish my work I have to help them finish theirs. I realize public accounting is a "team" environment, but I don't get comped for my coworker's inefficiencies. We don't all need to hold hands and sing kumbaya while we work. Performance bonus you say? What a joke. The fact that associates are ineligible for year end bonuses is another reason turnover is so high. This isn't a charity, when I work additional hours I want a percentage of the additional bill you're sending the client, not some garbage performance bonus that comes out to $5 after Uncle Sam robs me. I don't think these feelings are unique to PwC, I just happen to work here. I'm sure the feeings are very similar at the other Big 4 firms.

Other Reviews for PwC

Challenging, Unfair at Times, Competetive, but Worth It

Former Employee - IT Audit Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Audit Associate in New York, NY

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

- Incredible Experience Opportunities
    - Depending on your Group, equally incredible travel opportunities
    - Everyone wants to hire current and former PwC Employees

Cons

- In terms of what your experience will be, it depends on the group you are entering, and even more importantly it heavily depends on the team you are joining, and the assignments you get. Think of it this way: Its like buying a car, sometimes you get a diamond, sometimes you get a lemon
    - No Work / Life Balance (Those who get some, its the exception to the general way of things)
    - Too much emphasis on petty details when it comes to documentation (this depends though on the engagement / team you work with)

- Like them or not, they know what they are doing

Proud of depth of topic exposure; discouraged by internal subjective evaluations.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of variety & technology allows flexible location; but lot of work hours.

Cons

missing out on family events due to work is counter indicative of a flexibille

There are newer employer reviews for PwC.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!