There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Good experience, but not for everyone

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC

Pros

Good experience. Lots of opportunity. You work at lots of companies and do a lot of different things. If you are interested in travel there are lots of opportunities. The people are in general very intelligent and hardworking. You build up a great network that will help you the rest of your career.

Cons

Stressful and heavy with politics. What you want to do in your career and what the partnership wants you to do might not necessarily be the same thing. Staffing is rough. You are held responsible for your utilization but you don't always have control over your staffing. You need to be flexible. The work is sometimes boring and unrewarding. I always felt a little under-paid in terms of how hard I worked vs. the salary I received.

Advice to Management

Pay your lower level staff better and give them more reasons to stick around after "putting in their time."

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You can come in for a long haul - just do it with eyes open

Current Employee - Advisory Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advisory Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC

Pros

The typical line on PwC is it's a great place to start, build your credentials for a few years, then move on to greener pastures. It doesn't have to be that way. A long career here can be very rewarding - professionally, intellectually, and financially. But understand what kind of environment you're getting into. Some straight talk to describe life at PwC: Hard-working, ever-changing, demanding, and conservative (at times in the extreme). And also intellectually stimulating, team-oriented, flexible, and fun (if you are on a good team, which most are). You are working for the best and will be expected to bring your best every day. You need to get yourself noticed, yet do so in a way that is collaborative and team-focused. If you are a lone ranger (in reality or in perception), you will fail. Not everyone is able to bring that "mental balance" between ambition and great teaming to work every day. Ask yourself if you can. My PwC cohorts are, collectively, the most intelligent community of people I've ever been around. Every person who sticks here is capable, diligent, and for the most part, more than willing to share their knowledge. The spirit of achievement and top-quality delivery to our clients is really something special.

Cons

Did I mention demanding and hard-working? Hours can be off the charts at times. The perpetual challenge has been that Work/Life Balance, while truly regarded as an important initiative, has always only addressed half the equation. You can offer all the time off and schedule flexibility you want, but until you make workloads and expectations more reasonable, you will never be able to achieve the "balance". They have never quite gotten that part. Over several years, I have never been able to take all my vaca time while remaining a top performer - and I am not the workaholic type by nature. It's the way the system is built. Did I mention conservative? Understand this is still an accounting/audit firm at heart, no matter how big Advisory becomes. The hoops one needs to jump through - whether to initiate a project, establish a teaming relationship, handle admin tasks, or address personal financial independence requirements - are off the charts. After a few weeks/months, you will "get it", it will become normal, and you'll stop considering it ridiculously burdensome. Or not, in which case this probably isn't the environment for you. This is a "culture of compliance" taken to new heights. Final thought: If you perform and progress, compensation can be excellent. Real wealth is possible. BUT - you will max out after a handful of years as a director. Consider that the partnership is basically a sign-in-blood-for-life proposition, and political x 1000 (which certainly isn't for everyone), and you may start face a career crossroads.

Advice to Management

1. Make WLB real by addressing the workload end of the equation - especially for directors, whose responsibility loads are insane. 2. Define a path for long-term compensation growth other than forcing a partner/MD track. Let's get creative. It is restrictive now to the point of driving top performers to seek other opportunities in the market.

2. PwC - stay within the lines...

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC

Pros

Great internal training/information readily available on intranet. Shared services are great. Good people (for the most part)

Cons

Huge political game being played. People are labeled as troublemakers early on in their employment and then ignored. Review process incredibly anonymous - I just want to talk to someone about the work I did, not hear back from my manager who talked to the person presenting my case before a panel of people not identified to me.

Advice to Management

Fix the review process - allow some human interaction and don't play favorites in the office