There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Great company to start out your career.

Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Resume builder, swift push into the real world out of college.

Cons

Long hours and monotony. Like anything, you have to make sure its for you.

reviews filtered by
  1. You know what you're getting out of it.... or at least SHOULD know if you know what's best for you

Former Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Assurance Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Experience, name brand recognition. I never thought Big 4 (and a CPA) would mean so much to other companies Post-PwC experience but it does!
    -Variety of industry types to work at, assuming you are very proactive in making your industry preference known
    -Lots of vacation

Cons

-Work-life balance. If you don't actively manage overtime avoidance (AND CAREFULLY, without impacting your work and deadlines too much) you'll be a poor, trapped soul living in a dark dark place. I managed okay but some managers have unrealistic expectations of how much you should work.
    -Culture - The "rebel" mentality of this office seemed fun at first, but quickly got old and there was alot of disrespect and backbiting going on at all levels, even at the partner level. It's hard to respect your boss after listening to him ridicule some of your colleagues/friends and their family behind close doors and behind their back, and MEAN IT. Not just for jokes. I can only imagine what was said about me behind my back. Complete "old boy" network. I thought I would mold in well but I found myself sickened by it by the end of my time there. Terrible and cancerous. Time to grow up, starting with the top!
    -Salary - woefully terrible. At one point a colleague told me she was making under minimum wage from an hourly standpoint after a stretch of 80 hour work weeks. ha ha!
    Benefits - mediocre at best. If you want real healthcare you have to pay ALOT to get it. Otherwise you can get a high deductible plan at a reasonable cost. If you're healthy it may actually work out the most for you with with HSA, which balance will carry forward with you even after you leave employment or change plans. Company 401k match is mediocre.

Classic audit concept is TONE AT THE TOP! The office culture varies practice by practice, location by location and firm by firm. It's all about the partners at your office. It's funny how some simple, trivial textbook answer actually has REAL meaning in practice. There's literally thousands of feedback from burned out auditors on the web, but sometimes that's the nature of the work and you live with it. But some problems are in your control to remedy. Partners and senior managers need to set the right tone and show a minimum level of respect toward people working under them. If that's not how you roll, that's great, but there will be more people like me ready to speak up and drive new talent to the other firms. Good luck.

Great learning experience, but long hours and meager pay mean this is not a place to stay long term.

Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Experienced Audit Associate in Stamford, CT

I worked at PwC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at PwC is a great educational opportunity and looks great on one's resume' - guaranteed to get a good job after working at PwC. I worked for around a year and a half at PwC and then left for a job that paid $20K+ more. I learned a lot about auditing / accounting. Working outrageously long hours performing difficult work helped me to become more disciplined and motivated - now I have better time management skills and drive so I accomplish more in my free time. Very intelligent young coworkers who are generally fun to work with.

Cons

The hours are unbearable. Mandatory Saturdays for several months on end during busy season. No time for sleep or personal life. Large amounts of travel. Cramped working conditions (at client's offices). I was not allowed to use vacation time unless I applied for it several months in advance. Audits are stressful, difficult, and boring. Worst part is they do not compensate in any way for overtime. They are absolutely exploiting their employees and profiting from it. I had previously worked for a smaller regional public accounting firm which paid overtime and in comparison put much more emphasis in trying to perform audits efficiently, whereas PwC has committees who brainstorm on how to make audits take MORE time so that they can pay charge the client for more hours while paying employees the same. Lots of time consuming administrative tasks. The internally designed audit software is very flawed and the computers freeze up for at least 45 a day for each employee.

Not paying employees for overtime, while simultaneously billing clients for overruns is extremely exploitative. Just because this is not illegal, as it would be for a "blue collar" job, does not mean it is not unethical.

There are newer employer reviews for PwC