There are newer employer reviews for PwC

For Experienced Hires do your homework on PwC's Federal Advisory group before you start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Federal advisory practice is small so there is a start up feel-everybody is needed to do everything at some point-makes for good business experience for associate levels; junior staff have good mobility to move around; you will be rewarded if your focus is client delivery and you meet utilization - very strong emphasis on billing and project work even up through Director in a lot of cases; for big firm consulting you work a lot but this was within tolerance

Cons

Culture in PSP is territorial and non-collaborative - worst I've seen - the account ownership mentality creates strong barriers to get cooperation; collection of legacy cliques (BearingPoint, PRTM, PW, Booz Allen, Booz & Co), so many unreconciled legacy cultures. Know which firm you're going to first. Not a people first culture, very negative in tone day2day. Downside of delivery first culture is that other sins are forgiven - if utilization is high, other aspects of performance overlooked e.g. many lack interpersonal polish you'd expect in a brand name consulting firm.

Advice to Management

Where to start? I could say treat personnel better, but I'll focus on the growth potential. PwC's Federal Advisory practice is all over the map in what it wants to be the client, but lacks the internal collaboration and is not in tune with the Federal buying patterns (RPH, use of omnibus). Without growth you won't retain talent no matter how you treat them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Experienced hire worked hard, didn't feel at home

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Risk Assurance
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Risk Assurance

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some very talented colleagues & high profile clients. I think that PwC allows (forces, even) employees to develop skills quickly in order to keep pace with the demands placed upon them. (IT Audit/Risk Assurance)

Cons

The Big 4 model depends upon marketing the firm as an ideal starting point, attracting a large pool of qualified candidates, asking employees to work hours & deadlines that are otherwise fairly uncommon in the business world for this level, and then paying these employees below market rates in order to generate turnover & start filtering out start classes prior to each promotion level. PwC is no exception; further, PwC seems to hold themselves up as the "most prestigious" of the Big 4 & demands that all of the employees also drink the kool-aid - meanwhile the PwC'ers may not actually be as competent as other firms / companies.

2. Not bad

I have been working at PwC

Pros

good pay & benefits and overall place to work

Cons

over-worked, too many hours, not enough vacation hours allowed