There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Maybe for finance, not for consulting

Current Employee - Advisory Manager
Current Employee - Advisory Manager

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are tons of smart and talented people here, and depending on who you know and how you work the politics, lots of interesting opportunities to pursue. If you're an entry-level employee and willing to work an insane number of hours, you can be very successful.

Cons

It's an accounting firm, first, last and always, which is great if you're in tax and audit, but if you're a management consultant, the firm is not set up in a way to enable success. Too much bureaucracy, too much inappropriate focus on risk, too much overhead, which slows things down and causes fees to be ridiculously high in many cases. It's also really tough to work collaboratively across different lines of service, despite the fact that this is a requirement to be successful in the current business environment. The fact that the consulting business has been cobbled together through multiple acquisitions doesn't help.

Break the traditional Big 4 consulting model and reorganize Advisory around centers of excellence that can be flexible in deploying teams of the right people for the project, and agile in delivering the work.

5006 Other Employee Reviews for PwC (View Most Recent)

Bait and Switch

Former Employee - Advisory Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time for less than a year

Pros

High pay for what the work was. They have great benefits. The on boarding experience was amazing. They clearly weren't shy about spending money on us, and making sure we were happy!

Cons

The work was mind numbing. Really should have been a computer program instead. In consulting, you actually have to job hunt within the job, sell yourself to get on good projects. At the time I was hired, they hired a lot of extra people knowing they just temporarily needed to stick them on these terrible government projects. These projects would built zero business skills. Once the government project was over, it would be very hard to ever get on another good project. They sold it as a consulting job, however, it was more like a contract job for one crapy never ending project that sucked up a high % of the all of the additional entry level hires that year.

Dont hire people to scroll pdfs and check boxes in excel, travel to a dead end project in the middle of nowhere 6 days a week.

No Long Term Vision

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

Pros

-PwC starts as a great employer, they really sell to the new employee that they care about you because people are their only asset.
    -You are assigned a coach and mine always looked out for my best interest and were a big advocate
    -Other members of leadership within the firm served as mentors and provided insight that someone fairly new to the professional workforce may not have

Cons

-They over hire so that they can meet the immediate demands, but when they lose business they have no qualms about cutting people loose en masse
    -Pay was OK, they do not give substantial increases, only way to make more is to go elsewhere. Also note that their healthcare benefits are HORRIBLE, hope you have a spouse that is employed elsewhere if you want good benefits.
    -They have a rating process each year, ARC, it is biased and does not provide any transparency. For example, I once was downgraded because as an Associate I didn't win any proposals (yet I still got promoted at the same time)
    -Project staffing is based on random bodies that are available and not any specific expertise, each project I was put on was totally unrelated to other projects I was previously on
    -To be eligible for bonus or advancement you need to have between 350-400 hours of overtime logged in the year and that will equate to about $5-6 an hour

There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!