PwC

www.pwc.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for PwC

Maybe for finance, not for consulting

Current Employee - Advisory Manager
Current Employee - Advisory Manager

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are tons of smart and talented people here, and depending on who you know and how you work the politics, lots of interesting opportunities to pursue. If you're an entry-level employee and willing to work an insane number of hours, you can be very successful.

Cons

It's an accounting firm, first, last and always, which is great if you're in tax and audit, but if you're a management consultant, the firm is not set up in a way to enable success. Too much bureaucracy, too much inappropriate focus on risk, too much overhead, which slows things down and causes fees to be ridiculously high in many cases. It's also really tough to work collaboratively across different lines of service, despite the fact that this is a requirement to be successful in the current business environment. The fact that the consulting business has been cobbled together through multiple acquisitions doesn't help.

Break the traditional Big 4 consulting model and reorganize Advisory around centers of excellence that can be flexible in deploying teams of the right people for the project, and agile in delivering the work.

5781 Other Employee Reviews for PwC (View Most Recent)

Overall has been a good place to work, smart people, lots of different opportunities

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with PwC for about seven years; started as an associate, moved up to Senior associate, then to manager. I've learned so much here and have matured into a more seasoned consultant. The people are great and that's really what has kept me here so long. I've been on teams with nice, interesting, hardworking people who make the projects enjoyable. I learn from people at all levels - those above me, my peers, and my staff. PwC really hires sharp people. I've been able to work on a variety of client engagements and gain a range of valuable experience. As a manager, I'm starting to be exposed more to the business side of things which has been very valuable as well. If you show interest and a willingness to work hard, and you produce high quality work, people will invest in you and give you chances to work on interesting assignments and grow your career.

Cons

It is very demanding and, for me, probably not sustainable as I get older. There is a semi-official overtime requirement of 300-400 hours per year depending on your level. I find that no one has to make me do the overtime -- it really takes me this much time to do all that is expected of me. I did more than 500 hours of overtime last year, contributed to about a dozen proposals, managed three client engagements, and was highly billable - I was considered an average (which they call "high") performer at performance review time. This is just what is expected as standard. I've also found that the individual partner teams have very different cultures. I was on one that was not a good fit for me at all and I struggled. I moved to a different team and have, not only been happier, but it was there that I was able to advance in my career.

Amazing place to transform yourself, if you know what you want

Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate - Advisory in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is always somebody, somewhere, doing something you're passionate about. If you're lucky enough to find the team and get involved, there's so much you can get out of the PwC experience. I was not the happiest employee for the first few months, but was fortunate enough to find a group of people who were working on what I love. I wake up motivated every morning, believe it or not.

Cons

Not all teams are alike, and finding that one niche is difficult, especially for new associates and senior associates. Some groups are more intense (I-banking-like), hierarchical, and don't treat you well, while others are more egalitarian, and understand the value of work-life balance. It truly depends on what you are doing, and with whom you're doing it.

There are newer employer reviews for PwC