PwC

www.pwc.com

Good place to work at

Current Employee - IT Audit Associate  in  McLean, VA
Current Employee - IT Audit Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

Learn a lot in a short period of time.
Great place to launch your career.

Cons

Long hours.
The Feedback process is not that great.

Management should focus on creating a convinient environment for minorities. It is more difficult for minorities to succeed.

Other reviews for PwC

Missed the Mark

Former Employee - Advisory Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great benefits, nice people, respect for the community

Cons

If you are hired into PwC as a manager, there is little to no training, and this is a company you do not want to just be 'thrown" into. It is highly matrixed with little to no organization for the level of complexity that it has. In addition, there "work/life" mantra is just that only a mantra - you are expected to work until the job is complete and that often requires 15-20 hour days regardless of your personal life. Most associates and senior associates have little to no personal life I was told often in order to make the manager role. It's all about making partner at all costs. And it's every man/woman for themselves. While the people are nice, they are truly overworked, burnt out and cannot even help each other out for an hour. If you fall behind, it literally feels like you have fallen down during a stampede. I have worked in many organizations with high complexity, requiring long hours - this is NOT A NORMAL organization. If you are not married, have no life and want to work 20 hours a day to make Partner, then this is an organization for you.

Stop the madness, take a good look at your people and realize that you cannot serve your clients by burning people out and then hiring new ones to replace them. All the while having slogans that pretend to care for the common good of employees, the environment, etc.

Do an internship at PwC for your resume, but DO NOT accept a full-time position

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working at PwC gives you the CPA experience you need. Additionally, the name PricewaterhouseCoopers looks good on your personal resume.

Cons

Simply put, you are expected to be a mindless minion. No one has any respect for a work/life balance, whether or not they know about the commitment, you come in extra early, get your work done early or on time, and get compliments from the client. If you book vacation ahead of time (despite being available when you book), you will most likely be "asked" to change it, and if that is not possible, you will have to make up the hours you are taking as vacation. People will consistently throw you under a bus and be two-faced. Rumors, trash talk, and gossip are prevalent, even among Managers, who also partake. I've had an associate tell me (when the senior was not in the room) that he will help me with an assignment, and when it came due and I asked him for his part, he said, "I never said I'd do that. That was YOUR responsibility." (to me in front of the senior) I've also had an experienced associate tell me to do controls testing, and then, when I did it and the manager asked why I did, the experienced associate said they had never told me to do the testing in the first place. Those are only two of many examples in my short one year term here.

Senior Associates and Managers do not think for themselves either; they are the ones that clawed their way to the top, but never really knew or understood what they were doing along the way. You do something because it was done last year (even if excessive, unnecessary, and time consuming). If you bring up the fact that a procedures may be any of the above, you will do it if only to satisfy the person's power trip and if later, the Manager or Partner calls it excessive, you'll find that the Senior and/or Manager will put the blame on you, saying that you mindlessly followed prior year. And by the way, you will be considered "difficult" for having ever questioned a procedure in the first place, regardless of whether or not you were right or how sweetly you bring it up.

Another thing to note: people do not leave PwC having loved the firm. People leave PwC because they hate it. It's not just the work they hate, but the people that make the work that much more unbearable.

One final point: NO overtime pay. If you work 8 hours or 16 hours, the firm doesn't care. You are booked for engagements knowing that the number of days you have to complete the engagement is not enough and instead of adjusting resources properly, the idea is that it will get done no matter what (normally, excessive overtime). You are also told to keep your hours within budget (i.e. eat hours) and you are unappreciated if you are honest about your hours.

Whether your firm looks good on a resume or not will only get you so far when it comes to the quality of people you are able to retain. How you compensate and treat your employees defines whether or not you will keep the good ones.

There are newer employer reviews for PwC.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!