There are newer employer reviews for QHR Technologies

Growth Company with lots of bugs to work out

I have been working at QHR Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you thrive on chaos this is a great place to work. Lots of demands and high workloads, but can lead to lots of learning opportunities if you don't mind working long hours.

Cons

Long hours for some depts, and others just coast. Know what you want and set your limits and you will do well. Little or no training.

Advice to Management

Look at the teams and get them out of their silos. Work towards cross functional cooperation and reduce the Toronto vs Kelowna power struggle. Invest in product training for employees, the teach yourself model isn't working.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

QHR McJob

I have been working at QHR Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at QHR is fantastic! You will enjoy a slightly below market salary, be completely and utterly unaccountable for your primary fiduciary duties, as a matter of fact, QHR creates incentives for complimentary contributions, you can come in late/leave early and take long breaks with no consequence and if you get cozy with your manager, you might even get promoted!

Cons

If you didn't read the irony above - there are no career pros to working at QHR. Think of QHR as a teenager; It's a company with enormous potential operating in a non-cyclical fiscal environment, but under delivers on its potential. It's the first pick of the draft - a tremendous athlete with limitless potential....that doesn't work hard enough.

That's the problem. QHR is socialism. It creates incentives to be un-productive. Its actually rewarding to do less, as opposed to more. Those who do work hard, would find it a challenge to advance their careers as they become too critical to QHR's operations and therefore pegged to the spot. QHR has have's and have not's. It's just that the have's in the organization got their not on merit, but on cronyism. This has to do more-so with mentality as opposed to a corporate habbit. In BC, people look after their own. This is true at QHR. If you are lucky enough to belong to "the group", you will be afforded luxuries not afforded to others. Full disclosure: I am a have not.

While we are on promotions, during my tenure at QHR I have witnessed staff who perform "complimentary" work, advance to key roles and departments. This mostly has to do with said staff "well-constructiveness" and the fact that their departure from their old role/department has no impact on operations. I would double down on the last one as one said "promotee's" departure actually led to an IMPROVEMENT in operations in the DAYS said staff left.

They say leadership stems from the top and spreads throughout the organization. Unfortunately at QHR, it is pouring rain of complacency. (Full Disclosure: I am holding an umbrella). There is no planning or organization, or any sense of direction at any level of the company. Process gaps are about the size of a crater and you will find more holes than Swiss cheese across all departments; from product and development to accounting.

On career advancement - what career advancement? At QHR employees are not seen as assets but as utilities. I am no tool. As noted in the reviews prior to this one, this is a reason why QHR has such a hard time retaining quality employees. Professional excellence is not rewarded adequately at QHR. In my efforts to work collaboratively in positive ways, I was quickly shot down - on all occasions. This is a side effect of the "look after one own's" small town mentality. I fear QHR will end up with a bottle neck of idiots in middle to senior management one day.

To be fair, there are some positives. There are some really great people to work with at QHR. But I don't come to work to make friends - I come to work do grow professionally above all. Unfortunately, working at QHR will put your career in reverse.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is you need to clear house. There's a great deal of dead weight in the organization who are stiffling growth. QHR will never make it to the next level with a small town mentality. Sometimes relinquishing control to others willing and able, others with imagination, others with ambitions to stretch the limits of what can be achieved is a good thing.

On the corporate side, I am of the opinion QHR is using creative accounting to hide bad performance. Not unlike many other venture listed assets, QHR does not report earnings using standard GAAP methodologies. Their corporate accounting appears to focus on alternative versions of profits, thus making lemons from lemonade. Their adjusted profits are higher than net income in their last quarterly report. How does that make sense?

My view of the outgoing CEO is slightly to the positive. It takes great courage to make investments in technology in Canada, and take a privately held asset public, disclosing the story to investors while it happens.

My view on the incoming CEO (Whom I have no information as to whom it will be), based on precedence and what is noted above (taking care of their own), won't bring forth the much needed forward looking change needed at QHR. The company will continue operations, in fact, it might even experience a small degree of growth. But QHR will never be a big company. Never.

Much like QHR's core product, Accuro, which requires a 10 million dollar source code re-write, at all levels, the company needs a complete gutting or change of thought. Unfortunately, I don't think too highly of most staff at the corporate level and sadly, I don't think under-performance is something QHR will really will change - there's numerous reasons as to why this is true; cronyism, lack of incentive based compensation etc. Ultimately it comes down to bad mentality. And that's a hard habit to kick.

Poor Middle Management

Former Employee - Biller
    Former Employee - Biller

I worked at QHR Technologies

Pros

None come to mind and never will.

Cons

RCM Division lacks maturity. They advertise billing service, but only know coding. They focus on "big dollar" clients, putting all efforts into them, while the smaller clients they sign, they do not properly staff.

Advice to Management

Softcare needs new management before she runs it into the ground.