QVC

www.qvc.com
  www.qvc.com
There are newer employer reviews for QVC

One can work at QVC and have a healthy life outside of work. People seem to stay here for a long time.

Current Employee - IT Developer III in West Chester, PA
Current Employee - IT Developer III in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Employees can have a healthy, balanced life outside of work. I see employees walking or jogging outside at lunch. There is also flex-time. Some employees work from home on two days out of the week. Others work Monday through Thursday for 10 hours and take Fridays off. There's two weeks of vacation for employees that have been at the company less than 5 years. Employees that have been with the company for 5 - 10 years get three weeks vacation. More than 10 years earns 4 weeks of vacation a year. People speak to each other around the building and seem genuinely happy. People like to get dressed up for work here as well. It's not unusual to see 4 1/2 inch heels and a-line skirts, which doesn't bother me a bit.

Cons

I see a lot of IT people here who don't appear terribly bright to me. Some of the legacy mainframe developers don't strike me as geniuses. There are some really bright Java developers here, but there are also some developers that seem to be skating as well. I'd prefer to be in a high-energy creative product development environment and be around the kind of people that type of environment attracts.

Salaries aren't super-competitive here. The benefits and quality of life make up the difference to me, however.

A haven't met many people here who are self-aware either. Maybe that's true at most companies, I don't know.

None.

227 Other Employee Reviews for QVC (View Most Recent)

QVC is in desperate need of a shakeout.

Current Employee - Television Director in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Television Director in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

Good benefits - decent salary - 401K - working with wonderful vendors and guests.

Cons

Management incompetence. Favoritism. Self-promoting people who don't ever look at the big picture, they just want to worry about themselves and gain favor and more people under them.

Look at who is really contributing to the business - and who is simply trying to get themselves promoted. Look at the number of directors and vice presidents who have been added since Rob Cadigan left the company. Every new leader comes in fresh and seems to be convinced that the QVC lifers know what they're doing. The lifers then find it very easy to convince senior management that a reorg is necessary and they ALWAYS work it in such a way that they create VP and director level positions allowing them to promote each other and their friends. And when senior management sees the true need for a reorg in a certain area they never consult those who will be most affected, but rather listen to the lifers who have their own agenda (promotions and more staff under them).

Putting the Quality back in the Q

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at QVC

Pros

A high level of creativity. The company is tapping in-house creativity on a regular basis. The CEO is determined to improve corporate culture and has created a senior team more in alignment with his views. Our President of US Commerce is forming small pockets of creativity throughout the organization. Our Benefits department and SVP of HR are focused on attracting and retaining top talent. One approach they're taking is through a more flexible workplace including e-commuting, flextime and job share. Part-time professionals are becoming more commonplace. Attention is being given to the workplace to provide a comfortable and satisfying work environment. A CEO who regularly communicates his thoughts to the entire organization and takes the time to report on what's working and what isn't. A new willingness to look at legacy policies and procedures and make changes where needed.

Cons

Too many promotions where the rank and file are left scratching their heads. Getting so bogged down in processes that it takes forever to get an idea launched. Too many layers of bureaucracy and too many people afraid to take a calculated risk. Getting information on comparable compensation is on you. Getting jobs re-classed is a ridiculously arduous process. Senior Managers who do not model the behaviors of the CEO and Commerce President. Taking too long to get back to prospective hires. We lose good candidates because of our slowness, our often non-competitive salaries, and our short-sighted vacation policies. A talent management program that is ridiculously complex.

Don't just talk to each other. If you want to know what's really going on, start listening to your frontline managers and supervisors and do it in such a way that their truth telling doesn't come back to bite them. Eliminate some layers in project management, particularly in the approval process. If a Senior Manager is inappropriate in how they address their directors and managers, don't ignore it. Call them on it. And if their bad behaivor is in a public forum and in violation of our stated values, call them on it publicly...otherwise cynicism will grow.

There are newer employer reviews for QVC