There are newer employer reviews for QinetiQ North America

So Much Opportunity But They Must Better Utilize Our Employee's Time and Talents

Former Contractor - Consultant (Former) in Waltham, MA
Former Contractor - Consultant (Former) in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated employee's and consultants who truly are willing to dedicate their time to see their efforts contribute in a positive manner. It's interesting that the contractor's and consultants I spoke with are willing to work extra hours not so much to make additional income, but to assist the team in assuring quality products are delivered to the customer. I recall speaking to a consultant some time ago who told me they are more interested in being a valued contributor and producing quality work that if even if they were to leave, would have long positive benefits to this client.

Cons

I saw too much time spent on reworking efforts and an inability to trust each other. I wondered why if the folks like each other so much why they do not communicate and act in a coherent manner that benefits their projects. There is a need that all members of a project to get together and have project meetings once a week, and this does work. There is a need for managers to utilize MS Project and set short and long terms goals that should be shared with the team. Each person should be able to see how their contributions affect the delivery of a product. There is too much "just in time reactive" direction given by managers and a desire by their subordinate to get better direction. I saw key members who if they were aware of the program goals, and had input into the planning effort, could benefit the program. Each member needs to understand they play a critical and unique role in seeing a product to delivery. When I was there I saw a willingness to cooperate, but management needs to take a leadership role in bringing their teams together and keeping the members informed.

Advice to Management

Unite your teams. Allocate upfront time as it will have long term benefits and improved productivity. It would improve productivity. You have both loyal employees and consultant who know they have unique roles and skills that benefit your company. They do have an interest in doing their part to see your company succeed. Every member of the team whether an assembler, technician, programmer, engineer, manager, consultant or technical specialist play a vital and equal role in seeing your company succeed. Listen to those who seem frustrated and know that is a sign they want to do more.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Unable to capitalize on terrific technology portfolio

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enviable diversity of talent across many disciplines of science, engineering and business development; great place to work for problem solvers and quick learners; good overall compensation with excellent benefits.

Cons

Management struggling to find coherent strategy to transition contract R&D into products; frequent re-organization with lack of market vision and business direction.

they suck very badly

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

makes everyone else look good

Cons

they are mentally challenged to a high degree

Advice to Management

give up now before it's too late