There are newer employer reviews for QinetiQ

Great opportunities, challenging culture

Former Employee - Team Lead in Melbourne (Australia)
Former Employee - Team Lead in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at QinetiQ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great technical opportunities as company has many in depth departments and facilities

Cons

challenging company culture, based on fear rather than cooperation

Improve office culture

reviews filtered by

5 years from apprentice to manager

Current Employee - Trials Safety Manager in Stranraer, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Trials Safety Manager in Stranraer, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training and promotion if you get recognised for hard work and apply yourself. Work life is excellent, although my wife thinks I'm travelling too much, I'm the exception not the rule. Company has gone through some big changes which have given it lots more energy and enthusiasm and although many are skeptics I believe it's getting better and better. I've been through my apprentiship, they have trained me through my various roles and are currently funding my masters degree so training prospects are great.

Cons

Promotions can be tough to get. Really have to work hard and get noticed and get rejected a few times. You can't always tell everyone how great your job is because some of the work may be classified!

Keep going, Leo has made a real difference and the people on the ground are beginning to catch up and realise this isn't a flash in the pan, we have real potential to sustain growth and become exceptional.

2. Going from strength to strength

Former Employee - Communications Administrator in Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at QinetiQ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

QinetiQ gave unique opportunities to me in order that I could enhance my development within the company. They offered help to develop ideas, offered suggestions, and was a company full of vibrant visionaries. I began to thrive and enjoyed the challenges set before me. In all the companies I have worked for, QinetiQ stood out because they believed in my potential. They listened, and made me feel like a valuable member of the team.

Cons

Sadly, I had to leave due to personal circumstances, otherwise I would have stayed at the company. I'd love to work there still, and was incredibly happy there. Since I left, I heard they had to make cutbacks, and employees have lost a great asset in the restaurant. Now, they have to walk to the nearest cafe to get lunch, and I'm sure this effects productivity as they are in a hurry to get there, eat and return. The cafe served fantastic food, but it was also a chance to meet socially. It was the heart of the base. Now that's gone, it's a different place entirely.

Training was always good - and if you wanted to advance further in a field, QinetiQ usually provided training. I would say, there needs to be a focus on tendering. Also, in approaching Middle Eastern countries for security, it's best to approach through a back door method, ie, through hotel security (much smaller projects) then once there is trust, they will be eager to listen to higher budget projects involving defence. Start small, gain trust, build relations. I was just in admin, but I know these these procedures work. If someone invests in small projects, they are more likely to invest in larger but if you ask too much to begin with, they will back away.

More advice - I need a job. Please give me one!

There are newer employer reviews for QinetiQ